Guess that fluid

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by helifixer, Jan 5, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. helifixer TOTM Winner Southwest Chapter

06 dodge 2500, cummins

20170105_113259.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. Major Malfunktion Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Huh, so that's where Pepto-Bismol comes from....

3. Paul Masley Founding Member

Radiator......

4. helifixer TOTM Winner Southwest Chapter

yup that came out of the radiator, transmission fluid is the same. transmission heat exchanger ruptured internally, while driving transmission has more pressure than cooling system and pumps transmission fluid in to the coolant. when shut down cooling system has more pressure than transmission and pushes fluid back in to transmission.

5. Paul Masley Founding Member

A friend of mine had an AMX that would puke a strawberry milkshake. He did not believe me until I showed him what was wrong.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

MMMMMM Glycol slurpy.......
    I bet the seals in the transmission will be replaced right soon too, eh?
    Rubber + Glycol = 2 times the size it started out when oil hits it........

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Transmission fluid in my truck is clear! John Deere hydraulic fluid.

8. LMS Residential Founding Member

Tell me more Ken. Please.

Paul Masley likes this.
  9. Paul Masley Founding Member

Please do........

10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I started running with hydraulic fluid after reading about many guys experimenting with different fluids to keep transmissions from burning up and/or not having long service life in high horsepower cars with good results. The consensus was they had the best results with the John Deere stuff - I'd have to get the type off the 5 gallon jug I have as they have more than one type).

If your truck is stock, I wouldn't use it, because being slightly thicker it's going to lower the stall speed of the torque converter. But if it's diesel with a tune, which increases torque significantly... that increase in power increases stall speed, so hydraulic fluid will help lower it closer to stock plus give a little extra protection it needs with the horsepower. Or a gas engine with work done to increase horsepower enough to raise torque converter stall speed.

In my case, I first started using it because the stall speed in the torque converter I have in it was too high for my liking, I was able to drop it with the switch plus I like what it did for the shift feel - it firmed them up without any sudden grabbing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Plus, JD hydro DOES NOT foam

12. captchas

looks like some one is going to be blowing away about 40 qts of transmission oil doing a flush after a new radiator even then the transmission maybe a goner

13. helifixer TOTM Winner Southwest Chapter

my transmission builder says to run either hydraulic oil ( transyend) same as John Deere, aka tractor transmission hydraulic oil or 15w40 diesel oil, only problem is my customers would stop some where and get bs'ed into they are trashing their transmission and get screwed for an emergency rebuild,

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  14. LMS Residential Founding Member

Any benefit at all to running JD in a high mileage transmission on its way out?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >