Happy to have found this site

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Laura, Mar 4, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Laura

Hello Everyone. I'm new here and am looking for some advice. I have at 1997 f-150 with GEM module problems. If you open the door and the dome light doesn't come on then you also have no windshield wipers or power windows. We have bought a new module (not put in yet) and thought the problem was from a leaking windshield. Turns out the leak seems to be from the body seals. This doesn't seem cheap to fix but I don't want to ruin a new module. I believe a black sealing strip can be used to stop the leak which should be cheaper but not look bad. Anyone else have this trouble? Fixes?

Tags:
  2. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Hi Laura, welcome to FTZ! Sorry I can't help you out with your situation. Others here can probably give you some good advice though!

3. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

welcome to FTZ.
    as the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

how about a picture of where you think it is leaking from, then we can give some ideas on how to address it.

4. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

To me that sounds like a fault in the wiring harness where it goes from the body to the drivers door, something like that happened to me with a 1989 Taurus wagon.
    The cause was that the wires that connected the door were worn from opening and closing it - and it is why it happens to the driver side door more than any
    It gets used the most

I would seriously look there first for a connectivety issue

CONSIDER:
    Opening and closing the door makes it happen, doesn't it?

5. Laura

will do as soon as I can. It was explained to me that the water is getting in from the body seal that is on the top of the cab (the indented areas that runs along the top of the cab) and running down along the side of the windshield and dripping onto the GEM module.

6. Laura

Thanks, will check that.

7. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

could very well be happening. the seals on my 02 F250 did the same thing.

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Tape not going to work. You need to cut out the seam sealer, and re-seal it with new seam sealer.
    the rubber around the windshield is only trim that is attached to the glass
    The seam sealer is probably cracked, and the adhesive that holds the glass in is allowing water to go through that area

You will need to have a glass company come take the windshield out.
    then you clean the area where the glass sits. putting in new seam sealer where it belongs. Then you put primer supplied by the glass company.
    Let that sit for 48 hrs, then they come back and install the glass. I have had th windshield in my one truck installed 3 times before I finally did this

Pictures are in my phone, and will follow in the next post

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

20180829_102344.jpg #ad
    20180829_113841.jpg #ad
    20180829_104813.jpg #ad

I also had the 02 done for the same problem
    20180815_114047.jpg #ad

And the 95, so it's more common problem than you think
    20180815_114042.jpg #ad

KW5413 likes this.
  10. Laura

We had the window seal checked and it came back fine - no leaks. Visual inspection looks like we will need that done sooner rather than later. We are being told it is the seal in the wells at the top of the cab.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso