Have any of you all ever upgraded suspension?

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by jduvall24, Nov 19, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jduvall24

Have any of you all every upgraded the suspension to like a more modern air ride or maybe even just better shocks and struts than what comes on it stock? I have some major popping that i want to get replaced soon.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Have you checked the slip yoke at the transmission output shaft? If they get dry, they will cause a thumping/popping when starting, stopping, letting off the throttle, etc.

If the truck has a lot of miles it might be the leaf springs are getting weak. When this happens the differential gear box will swing up under throttle. This causes some binding on the drive shaft u-joints. Sometimes something as easy as an extra set of leaf spring straps or helper spring will solve it, but its better to either replace them outright or take them to a leaf spring shop and get them re-arched and clamped.

3. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Also could be worn out bushings in the sway bar, bad ball joints, worn out bushings in a shock. Everything mentioned can cause popping/banging.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I can't remember if this truck is 4x4. or 4x2
    If 4x2, could be spring mount could be rusted, and the shock has poked through the mount
    001.JPG #ad
    020.JPG #ad

5. jduvall24

6. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >