Heating a small shop SAFELY

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by Greywolf, Dec 3, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

What I'm looking at doing in there (it's a single car detached garage) is not only keeping the current project in it but also painting. My immediate thought is that only electric heating is even close to acceptable, and under 65 degrees I can't shoot - I know that.

I've actually toyed with the idea of steam heat run through pipes from an outdoor boiler, but that's a lot of fab work.

How safe am I if I use small electric space heaters and work lights? I know they are not rated explosion proof, but within reason...

Tags:
  2. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Well, I'm no painter, but for heat in order to paint, I would think radiant heat would be best. If electric is your option, they make baseboard heaters and oil type heaters that use the same electric, same BTU's, without a fan.

JWC 3 likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The one issue I have with radiant heaters, based on using an oil based electric heater in my office over the garage, is they take a long time to start feeling warmth in room --- it starts out warm only close. They are a great option for full time heating. A multi-directional electric heater with a fan is what I replaced it with.

For my shop building I have a larger kerosene heater, but it's a rather large space to warm up. Its about the size of a 4-5 car garage.

4. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I know what you're saying Ken. But if you're painting, you got to heat up what your painting, and you don't want fumes in the air from a kerosene heater I wouldn't think, and air movement from a fan forced heat may cause issues like dust, too quick dry time, air blowing the spray around, etc. If it's just heat, then I would go with the cheapest/quickest available. But if something like painting is going to be done, than perhaps some of those options may need to be taken off the table.

JWC 3 likes this.
  5. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I use a small wood stove in my shop when needed . I also heat my house with wood . Safe heat with the proper stove .And cheap !

56panelford and Campspringsjohn like this.
  6. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i use a 210,000 BTU multifuel salamander heater. it will heat the 24X26 shop from 35 to 75 in 15 minutes. then shuts off thermostatically and will stay off for around 1/2 hour when it kicks back on at 65 then runs for less than 5 minutes to get back to 75..
    the body shop is 65X85 and that same heater would only run for 5-10 minutes at a time when the furnace went out. we use dit over there for 7 months before finally getting a new furnace.
    for painting, we would fire up the heater with the door open until the front plate was glowing, about two minutes. then close the door and run the temp up to around 80.
    the paint booth stayed hot long enough to paint a car or truck without any issues.

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Kerosene fumes aren't an issue in my shop building, it is defint
    Good point, I've never thought of it as an issue, mainly because my shop is pretty darned drafty!

8. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Well, Tom says he uses one of those heaters, and it is not an issue for him. So, I guess my concern is that it's a non-issue!

9. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

the only issue is at first fireup. it will leave a stench if you do not like diesel/kero smell.
    since i run diesels all day long the odor does not bother me. but i will leave the door open for a minute or so until the front plate starts to glow if someone is here just to eliminate any smell.
    once the plate gets hot and starts to glow all odor is gone.

10. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

This^^^^
    BUT over the years I now find that I get a monster headache when I use Kerosene and only slightly less on propane.
    Haven't found a solution that isn't going to cost :bigtears: unless I choose to burn wood....... How long till that is outlawed...

2 minor points: most flammable vapors are heavier then air, so what ever burner type heater you use, you should:
    1. Have a fresh air supply so that you don't become room temperature.
    2. You should locate the burner a minimum of 20-inches off the ground so avoid the Whoosh or Ka-Boom factor.

:blackalien:

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Headache might be from carbon monoxide.

12. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I just work harder and ignore the cold.............

JWC 3 and 1970something like this.
  13. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i was thinking the same thing Ken. i made sure there was a CO detector in the shop before ever firing up the salamander.

14. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i used to do the same thing.
    then one day i woke up and realized i became an old fart and i needed some heat for the old bones to work properly.

15. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

When it goes to -20°F and lower which it does nearly every year, and it seems that the week before is was a balmy 50°F Warmer but now that is is actually cold; I'll have to do something; mind over temperature fails to be adequate... in 4, 3, 2, 1

1970something likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso