HEI DISTRIBUTOR

Discussion in '1957 - 1960 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Troca57, Jul 23, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Troca57

Is it possible to upgrade a stock distributor to a HEI on a 1957 F100 6 cylinder (215 ci223 ci262 ci)?

I’ve see HEI conversion kits, but not sure about the entire distributor.

If HEI distributors are produced, which brands are recommended?

Tags:
  2. iicap

Apparently you can install HEI that is for a 240/300 six. BUT, BUT it is not a just bolt in swap. You should read this link below THOROUGHLY. And I didn't see mentioned at all, the fact that your original distributor is what Ford Called the Load O Matic, it only used vacuum advance, NO mechanical/centrifugal advance. The Load O Matic used a special carb that offered the distributor a combination of ported and manifold vacuum. It will NOT operate the vacuum chamber on the HEI. You can plug the port on the carb and only use the mechanical advance. Much to consider. Cap

https://fordsix.com/threads/hei-delco-for-223-can-it-be-done.81405/

3. iicap

I would add. What is your reason for the upgrade?? You can add a Pertronics conversion to get rid of the points and condenser. YOU should check out your existing carb to see if it is correct and has not been replaced by an, Incorrect, one. You should test the advance with a timing light see it work. A picture of your existing Carb looking from the passenger side fender, would show an item that is on correct carbs. Picture showing where vacuum line hooks to carb.
    Cap

captchas likes this.
  4. captchas

icap is right, throw in the simple. and be done with it . forget about those special made GM based big cap units

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >