HELP: Best way to pull an engine transmission on or off

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by brockd69151, Sep 9, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. brockd69151

I am trying to get my engine out. Everything is detached and it is about inch away from the transfer case. Me and my buddy are trying to get it apart and it came out some but won't go any further. My question is Sould I pull the transfer case? Would that make it easier or should I continue trying to pull it out. I have it on a hoist ans I have a transmission jack supporting the tran case.

Thanks for your help

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Pull the transfer case off the transmission if pulling the transmission with the engine

Suport the transmission if pulling the engine without the transmission

It is all about what is easiest for you, and what tools you have to work with

3. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i always pull the transfer case off the transmission, and 90% of the time i also pull the transmission before pulling the engine.
    unless i pull the nose first, then i will pull the engine and transmission together.

4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I agree. Easier to pull the transmission first if the front clip is on.

56panelford likes this.
  5. brockd69151

Thanks. The front clip is off. I got it about 1 1/2 out. I am going to keep at it it will come out. By myself.

6. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

especially when working by yourself ,it is easier to pull without transfer case.

7. brockd69151

GOT IT! Thanks!

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I always drop the transfer case to the bottom.
    too long, and off balance to try to come out the front

9. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I've always found it a lot easier to just support the transmission at the right angle, and pull the motor by itself, a lot less hassle.
    If it won't come apart at this stage it's because the engine and transmission are binding and fighting each other, support the transmission at a fixed angle (wedged against the top of the tunnel) and get the gap as uniform as possible between engine and transmission, should slide right out, if not you need to start over and re-adjust the chains coming from the hoist to accommodate.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >