Solved Help

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by tvpitts, Mar 5, 2024.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. tvpitts

My 53 F100 is leaning to one side. The driver side is 1 inch lower than the passenger side. I could shim up the front of the cab on drivers side but will that help the back of the cab? I don't see any way to shim the back of the cab,

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Have you determined if it's spring sag or frame issue? Just wondering...?

3. tvpitts

I found a crack in the frame, i also shimmed up the front cab mount. it is siting level. On to the next issue. Thanks

Mr55fordf100 likes this.
  4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Well, on the one had it stinks that it had a crack. On the other hand you found it! How bad was it?

5. tvpitts

I welded up the crack & am going to box in the frame for about 18 inches

6. tvpitts

The crack was about 3 inches long, I have the truck up on jack stands & it is seating level. I then welded the crack & I tacked a 18 inches long plate to box the frame in, at that point. When I put the truck on the garage floor the is still 1 inch out of level. Should I have raised the low side 1 inch higher & then done my welding?

7. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

first.. how level is the garage floor ?Mine has some built in slope to help drain accumulated liquid
    try setting up a laser level and take some measurements..you might be surprised. Perfectly level floors are extremely hard to find... Especially in home garage construction.

second... where are you making your measurements ?? Mark some points on the frame and use the same points each time you measure You could STILL have some spring sag (or the frame has a little twist)

third..tires?? all the same size ?? evenly inflated

does the truck drive wonky or is this a cosmetic thing only ?? Here in Alabama, the roads are so bad you're bouncing and twisting all the time so it doesn't show

It might be worth it to talk to an alignment shop

j

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  8. tvpitts

I really have not figured out which it is. Not sure what you call these things that go in between the coils, but bought some & in stalled 2 of them & it raised the low side 1 inch. The truck is now sitting level. I have not driven it yet.

9. tvpitts

I set up my laser after installing 2 coil spring wedges ( not sure if that is what they are called) but raised the low side 1 inch & it is sitting level now. Have not driven the truck yet to see if the changed the ride. Will let you know if that fixes the problem.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >