High Boy leaf Springs

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by mikey, May 6, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. mikey

So in to days market Who is making the better leaf springs, I've been out of touch for many years?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Do you need something for mudding, rocks, or mainly on road with occasional offroad?

3. mikey

The latter. I like a nice Firm Ride, but not a ground pounding ride. I had a 77 F250 4x4 years ago that I liked the height and look of it. I'm now with a 78 F250 4x4 that I jacked up to the same as my 77 but not happy with the ride.
    Thank You For your Response

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I would look into a progressive system that has several thinner springs, it'll give you a decent street ride without making any off road so jarring. Atlas Suspension and Pro-Comp come to mind.

5. mikey

Thank You For The Reply

6. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

How did you "Jacked up" ?

7. mikey

I think the front springs were Rancho, I dont remember the rears. It was a 4" lift with Rancho adjustable shocks with a Rancho steering arm. I seem to remember they called that the pitman arm.

8. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

IMNSHO: Rancho... <There is your ride problem.
    Not knowing what kind of a budget you have?
    Least cost, is to remove and disassemble the springs (Ft & R) and after cleaning reassembling them with full length interleaving of anti friction material.
    Interleaving material can be found at a good local spring builder and they can install it for you.
    If you have the $$ have a good local spring shop build you a spring pack (for me that is: https://benzspring.com/ ).
    If you have the $$$ replace the springs with Deavers or Nationals

dustybumpers likes this.
  9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I have Deavers on my 95 Eddie Bauer F150. It rides great, and will still haul what it is intended too

10. mikey

I appreciate your reply, think I'll look into the Deavers. From what I see on Deavers they don't mention much on the early 77 f250 though.

11. mikey

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

12. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Sorry about that... You will have to call them and enquirer they have more then the site lists or they did...

13. mikey

I called Deaver, they don't have a replacement spring pack for the 77 or 78, oh well.
    I like the idea of the progressive spring packs.

14. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

For the record the argument can be made that a typical leaf spring is by nature a Progressive Spring.
    Having a true Highboy I'll lay odds that you will not find an off the shelf spring pack that is anything other then a stock type spring pack with +4" (or more) arch and that is not going to give you what you want. That is IF you can still find one worth buying at all. (Made in USA)
    If I was going to stay with Leaf Springs on my Highboy I would contact Benz or Atlas or National... and have the springs custom built.

15. mikey

Thanks again for all your input. Alot of good references as to suppliers.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >