Horn/Steering Wheel pin?

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Rugb, Jun 6, 2024.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Rugb

Wondering what is supposed to be in the hole of the steering wheel to make contact with the horn ring? The small dark hole on the right side of the picture
    Thanks
    1970 F250 2 wheel drive , manual shift

D4620B4D-53D4-4E86-BF26-4B14F1CD9359.jpeg #ad

Tags:
  2. RP67F100

There should be a spring loaded contact with a wire that connects down in the column. Much like a electric motor brush, except round and smaller

3. RP67F100

IMG_3138.png #ad

iicap likes this.
  4. iicap

Also, on the underside of steering wheel is a ring this contactor pictured, touches. That ring also touches the spring loaded contactor in the signal light switch, as part of the horn relay grounding circuit. The two contactor's are same in appearance but do not interchange.

Cap

5. Pushmower

I got one of those from national parts wholesalers about a month ago. I still haven't got the horn working, but it was easy to install.

6. Rugb

Thanks for your answers! I need to get a contactor for the turn signal switch which is the spring loaded type. But it seems like this upper one under the horn ring could possibly just be a pin? If it was spring loaded it would touch the ring and blow the horn all the time,where the horn ring has to be pushed down to touch the pin. Maybe it’s different than I’m thinking? The holes both seem to be about 3/16 inch

EB66A841-4CB0-47A1-93C2-D8E7ADEEB0EB.jpeg #ad

7. Pushmower

That's a question for the experienced guys. I haven't gone that deep into the column.

8. iicap

Your picture of the sig lite switch, the spring loaded contactor is not there. That looks like a brand new switch, wasn't the contactor included with the switch?? If not, did the vendor you bought the switch from offer one??

BOTH contactor's are spring loaded. The steering wheel itself is insulated and the big spring under the horn button keeps the button away from any contact until you push it.

As brief as I can, the horn relay has 3 wires, one from battery side of the starter solenoid. One to the Horns. The third wire goes all the way to the signal lite switch, you can see it is Blue with Yellow tracer. That wire is alive, has power all the time. With a test light or a DVOM hooked to a good ground, touch the other lead to the bottom of the contactor hole, the light should light, or the DVOM give you a reading of the battery voltage. If you have that, that part of the horn circuit is good. So the Horn button when pushed, creates the ground needed to close the horn relay and the horns will blow. Rugb and PUSHMOWER, do the test I described for power, in your case PUSHMOWER, you can test at the contactor under the button. IF you have power, grounding the contactor with a length of wire should blow the horn. You CANNOT ground it to the steering column shaft because it is insulated. IF the horns blow in this test, but will NOT blow when the horn button is installed and pushed, you have lost the steering column ground.
    The loss of column ground is another thing that has to be fixed. I will/would explain IF NEEDED, do the tests first. Let us know how you make out.

Cap

9. Rugb

Thanks iicap for taking the time to explain all you did.
    Yes this is a new turn signal switch I just installed. It didn’t come with a contactor so I’ll have to get one. I see they are offered for sale from other places. I didn’t see where they offered the top one, seems just the lower?? I’ll look again. Maybe the same??
    I ordered a new horn relay so when that comes, it should all work when I ground the wire at the coulmn. Thanks for reminding that the column has to be grounded. Then I’ll get the contractors and finish that part up.
    Thanks

10. iicap

The lower and top contactor's are NOT the same, my claim. Now I find possibly they are the same as per offerings online. The one pictured by RP67F100 seem to be for earlier steering wheels. I do know that one will NOT fit in the signal lite switch guide. I have one of those pictured here on hand and a signal light switch, it is way to big to fit the switch. Below see two links you could order from. They are all over the place online with some ridiculous pricing to very reasonable.

Read the descriptions in each offering.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/13a821.html

https://carolina-classics.com/products/horn-contact-spring-brush-2-required-per-truck-1961-70

Cap

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >