Escape How About Escapes?

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by OldjunkFords, Jul 15, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

How about em'?
    Just bought one 2003 duratec 3.0 V-6 4X4..............I know very little about them, it seems to be a very solid rig so far.
    Anyone care to enlighten us on them?

Tags:
    56panelford likes this.
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Even though I have these in the forum description, I overlooked adding them to the thread prefixes for this section. That's now been done.

The Escape is an interesting suv. The interior and overall body design shares a lot in common with the Explorer. The chassis underneath is unique though, a blend of truck and some underpinnings of car (to help with overall ride quality). It along with the Explorer and Explorer Sport Trac was on our short list of suvs we were considering while vehicle shopping for Peggy. Used Escapes tend to be bargain priced, and overall pretty reliable.

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

My brother's Escape has been pretty much trouble free, except for a throttle body replacement.
    His daughter's Escape required the same repair at the same milage, so I assume that may be normal for that car?

4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Keep good oil in it . Motorcraft oil filter .
    watch out for vac leaks, and bad coil packs . Good for many miles .
    Other than vac leaks and bad coils, burnt valves are the only big issues I see with them .
    Good vehicles overall .

56panelford likes this.
  5. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Great tips, thanks!
    I have one major problem with this one..................NO oil pressure gauge!?
    And, apparently not offered in this vintage, not knowing normal hot/cold oil psi really irks me.

56panelford likes this.
  6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Don't expect an actual oil gauge in any modern vehicle.

56panelford likes this.
  7. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

At least a glorified idiot light analog gauge would be a little more reassuring than just a idiot light that signals that the end is already happened.

56panelford likes this.
  8. BKW Founding Member

The first two generations of the Escape were based off the Mazda Tribute. AFAIK, they share next to no parts with the Explorer.

I looked at one several years ago, I passed as no telescopic steering wheel was available.

The "new" Escape, introduced in July 2012 as a 2013 model, has been sold in Europe since 2008 as the Kuga.

It has a tilt and telescopic steering wheel, and...so far, has had 14 recalls!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Key word in my post Bill... "design". :) I didn't say it shared parts. The Escape shares a lot of common looks with the Explorer. The Tribute doesn't really look much like the Explorer as the front and back are more of what one thinks of when thinking of Mazdas, at least I do. Much like the Pinto and Mustang, they looked similar but shared few parts in common.

10. BKW Founding Member

1974/78 Mustang II's are basically reskinned Pintos. Excepting the 302 installed in 1975/78 Mustangs, the 2.3L & 2.8L V6 parts are mostly the same as are the rear axles, transmissions, and etc mechanical parts.

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Again, I respectfully disagree that they are reskinned Pintos. The Mustang II group disagrees as well:

12. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

OK..........Mustang II's are "slightly overweight" Pinto's.............everything underneath sure looked identical to a Pinto. (with the exception of the 8.8 on the 302 models)

56panelford likes this.
  13. BKW Founding Member

Uh huh...

How many members of the "Mustang II group" have the 1973/79 Ford Passenger Car Parts Catalog? How many members of this group have any Ford dealership parts experience?

The answer is probably next to none, and without this parts catalog, without Ford dealership parts experience, they have absolutely no clue what they are talking about!

I have this catalog, and was a parts guy for 35 years (1962/97), so I do know what I'm talking about.

OldjunkFords: No Mustang II came with the Ford 8.8" rear axle, as it wasn't introduced in Mustang's until 1986.

8.8" introduced in 1983: F100/150, Bronco, E150/250, F250 "Light Duty" & Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car/Continental Sedan/Mark VI.

9" also available in 1983 F100, 1983/86 E/F150, and Bronco as it depended on the applications

7.5" rear axle introduced in 1978 Pinto/Bobcat/Fairmont/Zephyr/Mustang II. 7.5" looks similar to the 8.8" and shares some of the same parts.

1975/78 Mustang II 302 and Pinto/Bobcat station wagons with 2.8L V6 have the 8 inch rear axle that looks almost identical to the 9 inch.

The only other rear axle shared with Pinto/Bobcat/Mustang II was the Ford 6 3/4" integral rear axle.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  14. ncranchero Founding Member

Well, back to the Escapes. My sister is on her third Escape. She bought the first one in 2002, another in 2006 and her latest is a 2014 with the EcoBoost engine. The 2002 & 2006 are 3.0L FWD's. My daughter now has the 2002 so I'm trying to fix it back up and make it last a while. I have had 6 or 8 Bronco II's and when Ford discontinued them in 1990 I felt they were making a mistake. The Gen 1 Escape finally came around and filled that gap. I repaired a rear-ender 2005 4WD for my Mom several years ago as well. Pretty fond of the Escapes so far.

15. BKW Founding Member

2013/2014: Two different Eco-Boosts: 1.6L & 2.0L / 2.5L non Eco-Boost standard equipment in S & SE. 1.6L & 2.0L optional in SE. SEL (2013 only) 1.6L standard equipment, 2.0L optional. Titanium come with 2.0L as standard equipment.

2013 1.6L had 2 recalls that not only affected the Escape, but the Fusion as well.

#1: STOP driving the vehicle, bring it to local dealer, you will be given a free rental car (here in LA LA Land, a Hyundai from Enterprise) until the parts (valve cover gasket and fuel rail O-rings) are available. Some weren't repaired for 3 months, as the parts were D99 backorder Detroit.

#2: Head could crack, make an appointment with dealer to have heat shields installed.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    ncranchero likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso