How does one determine trailer pulling capacity?

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Scot, Jun 11, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Scot Founding Member

How does one determine a safe and legal pulling capacity on one of these old trucks? We are pondering buying a travel trailer and the topic of getting something the '55 would pull came up. It's basically a 07 Crown Vic running gear with a 4.6 DOHC if I ever get around to swapping the engine in.

Tags:
    dustybumpers and JWC 3 like this.
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Good question! . No idea on a proper answer.
    GVW , engine, transmission, rear diff. , brake set up, suspension. ... So many factors to consider.
    That said, I always used the old fashion seat of the pants formula. Too much pucker, too much weight!
    Hope someone else has a good formula for you.

56panelford likes this.
  3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

4. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

I'll bet if you got in touch with a trailer co... or even talked to some RV forums that given the wheelbase, horse power, gearing, tires, GVW of the truck, they could tell you max trailer you could tow... and tongue weight that would be safe...

john

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I believe 4.6L Crown Vic is rated around 3000 lbs, towing. I'd start there.

6. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

In addition to all of the above, be sure to factor in the size of the cooling system. A single tier radiator will not work when you need at least a triple core towing package. Electric trailer brakes would be preferred. I'm set for electric on horse, hay and implement trailer as well as the folks camp trailer. Hydraulic surge on the boat trailer.
    Then you have to factor in flat land, gopher hills or mountains, like 20 miles 6% or better grade like we have here in the Cascades.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >