Differential Ratio

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by stevep5b, Jun 23, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. stevep5b

Hi all, I'm really enjoying the truck so far but taking it for a long drive today I think a diff ratio change would help lower the engine RPM. I have no idea what the ratio is but the truck was made with the v8 engine. Does any one know what manufacturers axle is fitted and the ratio please? Maybe I could get a Crown Wheel and Pinion shipped over.
    Many thanks , Steve.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

For 53 there were 3.92, 4.10:1 and 4.27:1 gear ratios. I don't have the axle tag info in front of me (in my Ford Red Book upstairs) but if there's an axle tag still on the axle you can post and one of us can decode it.

As to which axle can fit it, I've got a list I'll come back and post later tonight after I make dinner.

3. stevep5b

Thank you for your help Ken, what I really need is which make of axle the truck was fitted with as I think it is still the original, then I can source parts for the diff ratio change.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They were Ford manufactured axles back then. If you post up a picture of the axle we can let you know which one it is if its not original. Sorry I didn't post the swap info last night, but in hindsight I guess I didn't need to since you want to change out the gears not the entire axle.

5. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

The original rear differential that come out of my 56 panel has 3.73 gears in it, the complete differential is just sitting beside my shop and have no use for it..

6. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I can take a picture of it providing it's not raining tomorrow and post it here ..

7. stevep5b

I had a good look over the axle and found it is a DANA 44 with 47/12 ratio so I'm on the hunt for a 3.07 ratio CWP here in the UK but cant find a supplier yet.
    Can you suggest a supplier t will ship to the UK please g.jpg #ad

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Summit Racing ( www.summitracing.com ) sells Dana 44 differentials, both open and locker types. They ship overseas but as you already know it's going to be a heavy shipment. Summit is one of the largest parts houses in the USA/Canada, their service will not let you down. They have a UK Ebay store but it's selection is limited, but it's worth a try there first http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Summit-Racing-Equipment/Drivetrain-/

9. stevep5b

Thank you Ken, I'll check out if things are available from them to me.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >