How to Rebuild a instrument cluster

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by macman_85602, May 11, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. macman_85602

Hello

About 3 yrs ago ,before i got it, the motor was replaced in my '91. when the motor was replaced they thought they would be cute and roll the odometer back. needless to say they broke the entire speedometer so currents the cluster is there but without the speedo. i was given another cluster but it is for a Diesel. so..........

How hard is it to pull the speedo from the Diesel unit and put it in the Gas one? I think I know how to do it but want to be sure and to help add to this section.

Scott

Tags:
  2. fords8

If no one gets to this question and I have time, I will look it up. Not sure off the top of my head.

This what it looks like:
    ai1275.photobucket.com_albums_y454_MisterAutoParts1_MrAutoParts_IC2B782.jpg #ad

Or does it have a tach in it?

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  3. macman_85602

I think i can do it but was looking for tips.

4. fords8

Taking the cluster out isn't to bad. Just take your time. Can't remember the last time I had one a part.

The one with the tach looks like you can change the whole cluster. The one without, I am not sure of. I have always done mine gas to gas.

5. macman_85602

The 2 i have both have tachs just 1 is calibrated for Gas the other for diesel. when I do it I want to do a write up on how it comes apart can be cleaned and goes back together.

6. ncranchero Founding Member

Better than I can explain.

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

That's 80-86 dash. 87-91 is different
    Diesels are different from the gas.
    All these are a printed circuit board, on a plastic film, and are hard to repair
    You would be better off just going to the parts yard, and getting a unit for a gas truck.

8. macman_85602

The 2 i have are identical except 1 says Diesel Fuel only and the tach is lower The Gas 1 is just missing the Speedo. I am going to pull the speedo out of the diesel 1 and put it in the gas cluster. I read that they are discrete gauges in the tach version. so should be a direct swap. Plus i got it for free so worth trying. I am also going to take pictures on how i took it apart. i am going to try to make an article out of it mainly how to take it apart for cleaning my Gas one is so dirty i can barley see the Gauges.

9. ncranchero Founding Member

Nope, the attached pic is an 87-91 with no tach. Just swap the speedo.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >