How to remove the dash panel below the steering column on a 92 F250

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by 92F250, May 21, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 92F250

I need to lower the steering column to replace the bushings on the shifter lever. The lower dash panel has clips that hold it to the dash. How do I get this panel off without damaging it?

Tags:
  2. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I don’t know how much difference there is between your 92 and my 96and is has been a few years since I pulled mine. What I remember the most about it was that I never wanted to do it again!

If I recall, I pulled the upper dash first. Lots of screws, some of them hidden and clips. While it was out, I bought the auto parts store out of instrument lights & replaced all of them.
    Then the lower dash. Some hidden screws and clips. I gently pulled, looking for binding points then would find out if that point was screw or clip. Parts store sold me a tool for the clips. Kind of looks like a swallows tail or weed tool. To be honest, it didn’t work so well on the dash. Works fantastic on the door panels though.

I ended up using a couple of screw drivers and a can of silicone spray and gently working them out. In a couple of cases I needed to work out two at the same time or one would reseat itself while working out the other. Just have to go slow and not use brute force.

3. 92F250

Thank you. Mine appears to have 4 metal clips that goes into the main dash. The clips spear to be to be about 1/2 inch wide. The panel above has three pointed ones. It was loose since my son worked on it before. I put a new one up there. I'll get some silicone spray and try it.

4. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I suppose you could also use a different type of lube spray. I used silicone spray because it is easier to clean up and less mess.

Some clips are use once for all intents and purposes. You might check and see what your local auto parts store has in stock...In the mean time, maybe one of the other guys that works on these things pretty much full time will pop in and give an assist.

5. 92F250

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

6. 92F250

I haven't found any silicone lubricant yet. Do you suppose spray on graphite, would help loosing it?

7. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

8. 92F250

Thank you. I just had it on hand. I'll locate the silicone. What part of Oregon are you ate. I was raised in Washington. I have live at Brownsmeed, Aumsville, and Vale.

9. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Sheridan.
    Spent a little time in Ephrata, Wa & later in life at NAS Whidbey.

10. 92F250

Thank you. I was raised in the Vancouver Washington area.

11. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Spent some time in my younger days chasing a young lady that lived on a horse ranch in Battleground. :rofl:anim

12. 92F250

Cool, I had a farm in Battleground, for 3 years.

Seabiscuit likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >