How to tell if its a factory alarm or aftermarket?

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by oldpops, Mar 17, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. oldpops

Hi folks! Been having trouble with my 2001 F-150 Super-crew(5.4L, autotrans, 2 whl dr) with either the alarm or PATS system. Need to know if I have a factory alarm or an aftermarket alarm, and how it relates to the PATS system. *I should mention here that when we got the truck new it came with two (3) button remotes, and we were instructed to start the truck with-in 10 to 15 seconds of hitting the 'UNLOCK button on the FOB. Anyway, the truck battery keeps running down, sometimes overnight, so I am pretty sure I have a parasitic drain which I have been trying to find. Another problem has been that whenever I remove/completely disconnect the battery, and then hook it back up - the darn thing just cranks but won't start - like it supposed to do if the PATS system isn't happy. When it's happened in the past my son comes over and sits in the truck, scanning the internet for PATS troubles and solutions, and keeps trying them until he gets it to start. I know that the PATS system is not supposed to be effected by the removal of the battery, but all I know for sure is that whenever the battery is disconnected & reconnected, it won't start. I've gone to this site and received some helpful advice on how to do a parasitic drain and how to keep the 12 volts of the battery connected by using alligator clips to maintain the connection while I remove/clean terminals/cables. Unfortunately for the last week and a half, it has been raining cats and dogs and there is no way for me to get the truck to a place to work on it out of the heavy rain, much less charge it back up. However, a couple of days ago we had a period of sunlight/no rain so I charged the battery and the truck started. I ran the truck for a while to make sure no problems and turned it off. Sure enough the rain starts again. Several hours later it stopped raining and i went out there and tried to start it. I clicked the unlock on the key FOB and the door unlocked, as soon as I opened the door all the interior lights (dome lights on door panels) and the outside lights began to flash off and on. I put the key in and hit the unlock on the FOB again, but it would do anything, and the lights kept flashing. I kept hitting the unlock button on the FOB but could only get the flashing to stop by closing the door and hitting unlock again several times. Anyway, in doing some research I came across some information indicating that the truck might have a loose/corroded/WET ground somewhere. The truck does get battery terminal corrosion pretty quickly.. One internet post talked about a ground behind the passenger side kick panel: Does anyone know that ground is? Also came across an article mentioning the Ford factory alarms and aftermarket alarms. I have been assuming that since the key FOB's came with the truck when purchased - that were factory issued. I don't assume this anymore and I wonder if there is a simple way to find out. Does anyone know how to tell the difference? So, briefly, the chain of events is: 1) As long as we have had the truck, we have had an issue with the truck crank/no start after removing the battery - have always assumed it's a PATS issue. 2)Then recently the truck battery started going dead - sometimes over a few days, sometimes over night. Figure I have some type of parasitic drain. 3) Then the heavy rains came this past week and now I get the flashing lights/no start issue? Maybe everything is related to a bad/loose/wet ground somewhere?? Well, I am sorry for the long post but I thought I would give as much information as I can to help folks here to offer their advice and suggestions on what to try once the rain clears up (still looking at a week of heavy rain). As always, i appreciate in advance everyone's help (and patience with an old man) as I try to solve this puzzle!

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

front and rear picture of the fob will help greatly in identifying factory or aftermarket.
    my 02 diesel has a viper remote in it that will automatically start the engine if the battery is disconnected and then reconnected.
    and the remote module is my parasitic draw.
    if it leave it 4 days the batteries are dead. but disconnect the remote and it can sit 6 months and still crack off.

3. oldpops

***Here is a picture of the front and back of the remote** I must advise that this remote is an (exact) replacement for the 3 button remote we got when we bought the truck new at the dealer. However, this remote is one that was purchased off of Amazon if that matters.

IMG_0083.jpg #ad

IMG_0085.jpg #ad

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

that is a factory fob.
    what i would do is try to find the power lead for the remote module and unplug it to see if the parasitic dew goes away.

5. oldpops

Where would the remote module be located? Any place to see a picture of what one looks like?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >