Hummer EV (Sign of things to come?)

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by XDM45, Nov 4, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

1000 hp? 11000 lb/tq?

0-60 in 3 seconds?

350-mile range?

For it's purpose (recreational/off-road) vehicle), it makes sense. Perfectly fine as a 'passenger car' also. Why not? The 'mileage' doesn't matter.

Big unknown? How that range is affected by towing or hauling under load. Initial testing with big-rigs pulling weight shows a HUGE affect on the batteries when under load. A FAR higher 'range' penalty than say, diesels pulling empty vs pulling a load.

Do you see the tech catching up with folks like me with big diesels pulling boats, RVs, and trailers? Cross-country even?

Thoughts?

Tags:
  2. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Yes. We are seeing it in restomods now...for speed. 0-60 in 1.9 damn seconds.

Musk, and others, have leap frogged battery technology. It will not be long before we see 800 mile ranges and portable "rapid charge" units applied much like a spare tire or better, a two gallon gas can. Enough to get you to the next charging station.

Its coming...and soon. If I am still allowed to drive in 4-5 years, I may check one of those trucks out myowndamnedself.

XDM45 likes this.
  3. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

Wasn't too long ago we were discussing the impracticality of it. Mostly because of range limitations. Especially in places like Texas. But yeah......overall range AND (if you can find a charging station), how long it takes to charge. Oh yeah. And cost.

But Hell. Hummers pretty much cost that much already (over $100-K).

I'm curious about applications in the towing industry. Especially heavy-duty pickup trucks.

4. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

5. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Range, aside, It looks like the Cyber Truck and the highly touted Endurance (Another GM infused EV) touts 7,500 llbs of towing capacity.

I still haven't seen specs regarding how pounds, Towing or payload, affect % of battery power burn rate.

6. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

Keith I believe it was a YouTube video I watched awhile back. It was an EV semi, I think. Ever heard of 'The Fast Lane' trucks on You Tube? They do a bunch of tests at the 'Ike Gauntlet' in Colorado.....

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  7. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

GMC sent me an impressive brochure on the Hummer....a lot to like. Who knows, maybe I will need air in my tires when it comes out. LOL!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso