Hybrid F150 By 2020

Discussion in '2015 - 2020 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by FTZ HAIC, Dec 21, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

A hybrid F150? Yes, it looks like it's going to happen. Ford CEO Mark Fields:

"Well, we do have plans to have a rear-wheel drive hybrid truck but the end of the decade. So yes, we're working on electrified F-series, and it's really around a conventional hybrid. But to your point, as you look at the industry today with over about 60 offerings in the industry today for electrified vehicles, it represents around 2-and-a-half percent of the total industry. If you look four years ago or so, there were only about maybe 10 or 15 electrified offerings, and the percent of total industry was about 2-and-a-half percent.

So it hasn't moved much. And importantly, although it's relatively small percentage of our sales, we are the second-largest seller and brand seller of electrified vehicles in the United States, and we're the No. 1 seller of plug-in hybrids. So this is really allowing us to build on the leadership, understanding that the percentages today are small. But going forward, our view is that they'll grow, and we want to position ourselves for that growth."

Tags:
  2. Grudge Match Founding Member

I don't see F150 buyers being that big into buying hybrid F150s if they make one. Maybe I'm set in my ways but I wouldn't buy one.

3. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

Not sure I would buy a hybrid truck either

4. Grudge Match Founding Member

If the diesel gets the rumored 30 mpg there won't be any point in a F150 hybrid.

5. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

There won't be any point in an f-150...lol

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

What do you mean by that? Power or something else?

7. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

I cant help wondering about towing with a hybrid

8. Truck Runner

The words hybrid and truck don't go together.

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

People thought a 6 cylinder would never be the best selling option on an F150, the Ecoboost changed all that. My initial reaction is that I would not buy a hybrid F150. But let's say they put one together that got 35+ mpg, and had the same power and towing capacity. It would hard to pass that up, the fuel savings would add up fast.

10. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

the question comes to mind, how much power on the electrical side and what would the towing capacity be?

11. Truck Runner

Maybe for the city but I think they would be useless in the country.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >