Hydrogen Fuel Cell Cars

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by XDM45, Jun 7, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

It's been in the works for years....and mentioned on FTE and other sites in the past...but Toyota has a working model (available in California only at this time) with the promise to make more efficient and cheaper by 2010.

https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/post_detail.html?postId=62746064&source=news

About $57,000. Out-pricing most folks......but about half the price of a comparable Tesla Model S.

About 300+ mile range. Again, comparable to the Tesla, and average for most gasoline passenger cars.

5-minute fill up.

Emits water as exhaust.

Drawbacks:

Again, the price. Doable, and sure to go lower....but still pretty high.

Lack of hydrogen fueling stations. About 20 right now. Soon to be 30. But mostly in California, I believe.

Thoughts? In general? What do YOU think is the future of the motor vehicle?

Tags:
  2. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

Mirai.jpg #ad
    Here it is. Pretty sporty anyway.....unlike some of the hybrids which look like they received a hard kick in the ass.....

3. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Performance? And what impact on distance?

4. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

Not sure on performance, Keith.

And not sure what you mean by "what impact on distance"............?.............

They call it 'on-demand'.........like all EVs. The only difference I can see between it and, say....the Tesla.....is that it doesn't store energy in batteries........It only draws power when you push the pedal and call for the power.......

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Another difference is it seems to lack energy recapture during braking like hybrids and other electrics do, unless they simply left this out of the article.

6. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Higher performance would, typically, increase fuel demand.

"On Demand" is nice but, I don't know what that means in say... 0 - 60 performance. The Tesla's, as I recall, are supper quick in this regard.

7. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

BTW: I think the HFC is cool. Especially with water being the only residual. Unlike the necessary recycling of pretty damned big batteries.

8. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

I'm not so sure of that with EVs, Keith. I know it's the case with gassers.......

I'm sure battery storage has a lot to do with it (with Teslas), but the higher-end (more expensive) and souped-up dragons from Tesla actually have the longest range (300+ miles). The lower-end (less expensive, but still pricey) about 200 miles. Same thing with Nissan Leafs.........lower range.

With the hydrogen fuel cells, not sure.

Guess it depends on how powerful the actual wattage is on the Toyotas. Not sure on the weight of the hydrogen tanks and the cell, but far less battery weight. Although the tech is getting better and better there.

9. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

I think they left a LOT out of the article. It's not a widely-released vehicle yet. On-demand in a very limited market. With Teslas you can pull up the entire spec sheet, inside and out.

10. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

Me too.

BTW, I'm curious about the performance. The higher-end Teslas scorch the pavement at 0-60 times under 4 seconds. It's that damned instantaneous power that the I.C.E. just can't match. Close.....but not quite.

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

There are a few internal combustion cars that beat it 0-60. Change that to the 1/4 mile and the gap widens further, with more cars beating it.

Then there are production muscle cars... with a few bolt-ons 10 and 9 second cars aren't hard to come by.

12. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

Which production gassers have under 4-second 0-60 numbers?

And I'm sure you can aftermarket dang near any vehicle and turn it into a 9 or 10-second 1/4-miler.....

Not really looking for an argument---i'm just curious. Also consider that the Teslas I speak of are SUVs or full-size sedans. Not little scorching rice rockets like the rally clubs like to aftermarket...........Or pony-car coupes.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  13. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

14. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Just as an FYI: Tesla is rumored to have a production pickup truck for release in 2017 & Ram is going to drop a Hell Cat into a crew cab.

The good news for you LE boys and girls is they can't out run those two way communication devices.

:copdriving:

XDM45 likes this.
  15. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

Great list, Keith.....

Looks like my Tesla was the 'slowest' of the 'fastest' top speed cars......(155-mph)............but the fastest at 0-60 (2.8 seconds).........with the Corvette Z06 coming close behind at 2.95 seconds........

The Hennessey Venom didn't give a 0-60 reading....just 0-100.....which was scorching enough........That damned thing is just plain scary!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >