Veterans Zone I Fielded A Question Today: "what Does The American Flag Mean?"

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by Greywolf, Nov 16, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

It was in regards to the "Pledge of Allegiance", and the thought was:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag"
    (snip)

Should it not be:
    "I pledge allegiance to the constitution" ?

~ I note that "and to the Republic for which it stands" might have been an easier route to explain it, but what I wrote instead was the following...

Our flag is a symbol, and as such it represents that Constitution - and all of those, and all the work and thought that went into IT and also the creation of the society and government that it represents - by those who refused to be trampled down by governments and/or models of society that took the lives of individuals for granted, as if all living people were merely "CHATTELS" that could be used as slaves and had no rights at all.

It comes into light again in the rights of working people, their quality of life, and the downthrow of companies that had you live in their housing, and purchase from a company store, that owned you - and had your children going to work when they should have been in school.

It represents the availability of schools for basic learning available to all - so that you did not have to be a 'privileged' person in order to read, write, and exchange ideas

It represents an end to usery, and the hope that each and every one of us has a right to expect we can earn a living, have a home, be free of tyranny in any form, such that the vaunted "American Dream" howsoever we imagine it is possible for ANY ONE OF US WHO CHOOSE TO APPLY OURSELVES to the realization of that same dream.

The American Flag is a symbol that stands for the ideas and the ideals of our forefathers and mothers who believed that it was necessary and essential in fact that a way of life ought to be created and guaranteed in which everyone had an equal chance to achieve prosperity and safety regardless of race creed religion bloodlines inheritance or whatever!

(Take it that corporate connections are included in: "WHATEVER")

If the American flag stands for any one thing - I would have to define as this:

The flag of our nation represents the simple basic concept of "FAIRNESS"

A level playing field for one and all....
    Bottom line? You can GET UP!

That is my explanation, to the best of my understanding.

I bet there will be a firestorm over this, but I'm okay with it.

*Note please that I DID say to any of us WHO APPLY OURSELVES
    (TANSTAAFL)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I pledge allegiance to no flag, and no Republic. Our founding fathers recoiled from the thought that a person was subjugated to government. That's what people do when they are owned by the state. I pledge to the principles contained in the Constitution, so long as the Republic stands behind those, I stand with it.

Our Constitution makes no mention of fair. It does mention rights and equal protection under the law (equality of rights). Life, opportunities and outcomes aren't fair, never have been and never will be.

"Fair" and "level playing field" implies taking things from one to give to another, to make things equitable and the use of force when those being taken from resist. Things are made "level" by grading down the high spots.

It is not fair that someone who's family has a lot of money, that they have more connections in business, and probably has an easier time getting into the business world. The way to make that "fair" is to take away their money or their connections. Its not fair that some people will inherit more than others... the way to make that "fair" is to take away inheritance from them (ie, death tax). It's not "fair" that some minorities are scoring poorly and have a more difficult time getting into a university, the way to make that "fair" is to reduce their requirements, and take away entrance to the school from more qualified students. It's not fair some are born with higher or lower abilities. It's not fair that some have mental disabilities and others don't. Life ain't fair.

Our flag does not stand for fairness (which is not the same as equality), it stands for liberty.

My opinions!

Fabman likes this.
  3. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I agree, in principle, to your post. I only ask for a clarification regarding our flag. I appreciate the fact that it stands for Liberty but, outside of that, does it have any other meaning for you?

4. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

The flag means different things to different people. For myself;

The United States Flag represents a Representative Republic, not a Democracy. (learn the difference, and you'll likely agree that they are far from the same)
    We are the greatest nation to have ever been born! We have more freedom and liberty than any other nation period!
    With great freedom and liberty comes great responsibility. That's what keeps us from becoming anarchists. (mob rule for those that don't understand anarchists)
    Because of our freedoms, we are able to make changes in our government through our elected representatives, and, we can petition our government should we have the need to, without fear of recourse. (try that in a muslum ruled nation)
    Many have fought, and died, for the freedoms we enjoy today. It is our duty to honor those people by protecting our freedom and liberty today, and, if necessary, fight for its protection.
    Everyone is born in this country with the same rights. We are all equal, with the freedom to become unequal.
    When I say the pledge, I pledge to the principles this country was founded on.

KW5413 likes this.
  5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I believe Charles Thompson, Secretary of the Continental Congress, said it far better than I could, when he described the meaning (of the flag in Seal):

"The colors of the pales are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valour, and Blue, the color of the Chief signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice."

To me, it stands for those principles, and those who stood for them.

KW5413 likes this.
  6. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I think that is cool. With that said, however, I do not understand then why you would not pledge an allegiance to those values that the flag represents.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

OK, I get that some may not want to include God in their citation but, issue would you have with the rest? To me, the flag represents much more than what is stated in the pledge. Or by, Charles Thompson.

I have to say, though, those were, collectively, some pretty damned smart sons-a-bitches...back in the day.

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Like Dutch wrote, I pledge to the Constitution. The flag pledge is to a symbol: "to the Flag of the United States of America" and to a Republic that flag stands for.

Our founders didn't pledge to a flag and much of what they wrote implies they wouldn't have considered it. Even the president's oath of office is only to the duties of office and the Constitution.

What's good enough for the president is good enough for me. I don't need to recite the words of a Marxist trying to sell flags to schools to prove patriotism, loyalty, love of country or how much the Constitution (and especially the Bill of Rights) means to me.

I believe in a Creator, that one line is for another day and discussion. I've explained my position regarding the pledge in it's entirety.

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Follow up on this. The thought occurred to me today, an analogy which puts this into a perspective where most people can understand exactly where I'm coming from on this. I assume you're Protestant? If not, it should still convey my feelings on it.

Would a Protestant pledge an oath to a building? I doubt it. Or to a statue of Jesus? Doubtful. Or to a specific church? Likely not, that church is subject to change. But most Protestants would not have a problem pledging an oath to God, or to the principles/message/morals in the Bible. And not pledging to a building, statue or specific church does not mean in the least they love God any less, or cherish the contents of the Bible any less.

That's how I see the flag (the building or statue), and the republic (the specific church). And how I see pledging to the principles in the Constitution. The flag is a symbol, I don't pledge oaths to symbols. The republic is an institution, I don't pledge to institutions - institutions are subject to change, corruption, power struggles, etc. The Constitution, being a set of principles and rights, I do pledge to those.

Does that convey it better than my previous explanation?

Fabman and KW5413 like this.
  9. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Yes it does. Thanks.

10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Good. I guess it was weighing on my mind, because I woke up thinking about it.

I respect reasons people have for saying the pledge, even when we aren't on the same page about it, and their patriotic reasons why, and I do have many of the same feelings of pride, appreciation for the sacrifices made for our freedoms, etc. when I view the flag. In a situation where silence might be taken the wrong way, because I do not wish to show disrespect to anyone saying the pledge (especially vets), I substitute the words "Constitution" for "flag" and "principles" for "republic".

Yeah, some of us libertarians are odd-balls, huh? :)anim

11. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

We are a dynamic Nation. More so now than ever before in our history. Yet, our US Flag remains the same in what it stands for. Yes, I can see were some present it as a symbol. But, it is not as a symbol that I recognize it for. For me, my flag has been a rally point for generation after generation of citizens that have not only fought and died for our constitution but, survived to benefit from all it encompasses. From the first flags of our own American Revolution, to the shores of Tripoli, to Mount Suribachi, to the outposts in the jungles of Viet Nam, to the Flags that flew over the skeletons of the World Trade Towers and those buried under them. My flag reminds, no, DELCARES to, the world that not only are we still here but, we stand strong and united under the umbrella of this flag.

My flag has energized many to move forward. To continue on in the worse of conditions. It has emboldened heroes. If the flag falls, another picks it up. If it has been desecrated a new flag flies proudly in its place. My flag represents my home. A place that I will defend to my death.

My flag honors those that have served their homeland well as it drapes over their coffins.

I am getting older and certainly more emotional about these things. Or, perhaps, I have learned more of the sacrifices made that protect us and this flag. When I hear the (my) Pledge of Allegiance, or hear my National Anthem...well, lets just say that when I look to my flag I often look through very wet eyes.

For me, those Stars and Stripes are not a symbol but, more of a means of communication and recognition that we are, still, these United States Of America. Our soldiers wear a facsimile of their flag on their uniforms to identify to all...who they are. Who they represent. Every Nation, and I dare say, every individual, in the world recognizes us by our flag. It is iconic.

When I salute this flag, I salute all of America, Americans and our history of survival and our dedication to liberty and freedom. All of the principles of the U.S. Constitution.

The American Flag represents me and I, represent it. I can only hope that I have served it well.

3bcc922e2d78c4e9931426f9bbd90abf.jpg #ad

From the World Trade Towers

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    OldjunkFords and Campspringsjohn like this.
  12. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

One of the scenes I dearly love from "The PATRIOT"

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso