Ranger I have an ongoing VG Ranger problem... HEADERS!

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by Greywolf, Dec 5, 2017.

?

Who just loves total sleepers?

1. Ya gotta love suprize packages...

80.0%
  2. Totally impractical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Waste of Gas/Diesel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I can't afford one

20.0%
  5. You go Boy, I'll hide and watch...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Couple years ago I began a V8 swap into an '89, I have a 351W mounted in it - but the headers and the freaking shaft & u-joint between the firewall and steering gear box are way too close.

I think what I need to get past that is a set of shorty block hugger headers that dump at the rear of the engine. Anyone know of a good set?

The ones on it right now came from Advanced Adapters - who made the motor mount plates. But those damned things DO NOT FIT at all...

* I am attempting to do this without a body lift

The reason I am posting this right now even though the project has been delayed this long is because there is cash beginning to appear in my pockets again

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Tags:
    Campspringsjohn likes this.
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, you've probably seen issues with fitment on the passenger side frame rail! Summit has a section specifically for 351w headers in Bronco II so maybe one of those will do. I would read the ratings/reviews there to see what's the best choice for you. Prices start at about $170 and go up past $600.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...onco/submodel/ranger-xlt/engine-size/5-8l-351 (this one is for the Bronco II, select

3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

In my case, it isn't the P-side but the D-side. That freaking steering column can't very well move, and there is no way to move the gearbox. So the shaft right in between is the big consideration.

The headers I got from Advanced so long ago, were supposedly made JUST FOR this swap - but the first thing I noticed when they arrived was that they looked absolutely nothing like the picture on their web page.

But if the collector was at the back of the block by the firewall, I could weld up just about any kind of pipe needed from there on back.

The issue with fried starter motors could also be by-passed with a set like that.

The only thing I wonder about is flow - if all of the exhaust is being swept to the back of the header, what might that do to back pressure at strange harmonics?

What I am visualizing is a header that takes an immediate left or right at the port exits, and goes to the rear of the heads, then down. There is lots of room to work with to the left and right of the heads and valve covers, but there is "KLUDGE" to the sides of the middle of the block

I wonder what the gas pulse timing would be like in a header like that? Could the tubes be tuned...
    What size would work best (diameter)?
    Progressive length from the front to the back would be about 4 - 5 inches added per cylinder

I can't remember the firing order just now, but each bank has it's own order, and that would affect the gas pressure pulses in each header. What that means is that the total pressure can be changed by different lengths of tube, so that as one pulse arrives at the collector, it fills (ideally) a vacuum or partial vacuum created by the last pulse going down the tubes...

You don't want two or more pressure waves to arrive at the same time.

(?) A backwards mounted GT header? That's a weird idea, but interesting

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I can ship those chrome mustang headers to you for a fit if you want
    I posted them for you in a thread somewhere, some place.....IDK where, been so long ago
    If they fit, we will settle on a price, if not, send them back

5. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Is there a snapshot of them? No sense hiking them back and forth across country if I can get an idea of how they'll work out from an I-Phone pic...

* I may also be visiting Maryland in April or so regardless - to attend my uncles burial in Arlington. If I miss that gathering I'll really feel low.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Let me try to remember where I posted them
    I also posted a stock stang set, and stock f 150 set in the same thread.
    I'll get back 2 ya

Let me know when you come to Md, I'll try to make a point for a meet and greet, I'm near annapolis

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

OK, I found the picture file, but not where I posted. Thought it was here in the ranger /sploder forums..........
    I'll post tomorrow again when I get some time. Pain level tonight is way too high to be up. TTYL

8. roscoe 0202

try torque monster not cheap but will probably fit they are for v8 explorer. also james duff used to offer headers like you are describing don't know if still available.
    roscoe

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

10. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

How much you asking for 'em? I think the only way from here is a test fit, or compare to see if they fit better than the loser junk I got from AA.

I suppose even if they don't work out - a guy I know across the street would nab 'em from me.

The F-150 stock headers looked like the D-side comes real close to where the mount saddles are in a Ranger.

But those chromies look like they end short enough of the firewall and go DOWN with no monkey bizzzness...

* There's room higher up along the heads and valve covers, except at the back.
    The bottleneck is where to pass the tube(s) downwards. Quarter tons were just not made for any but stock headers on a V-6 at most.

11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Paid $300
    For you, I will do $150, plus shipping
    they come with all the hardware.
    I think there is a set of gaskets too. Can't remember

If they don't work for you, sell them for the $300.....;)

Not going to build mustangs anymore, so I don't need them

I'm in no hurry

12. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I'll put that on the "PRI-LIST" for January, I had an unexpected VET bill this month (the small furry four legged kind, not the upsetting kind from the government)

13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

PM recieved. No problem my friend
    Headers are yours when you are ready.

14. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

This now has me pondering the actual feasibility of stuffing a 351W or a larger 351M into a 1994 Mazda MX-3 I got my hands on.

The more I think about those headers though - I'm actually going back to that post and drooling at the picture...

15. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Yeah, they sure are pretty.....

I hope they do what you need them to do

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >