Identify the Model Year Please

Discussion in '1948 - 1952 Ford F1, F2 and F3 Truck Forum' started by jehjeh, Jun 30, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jehjeh

Can someone please identify what year this pickup is? Thank you. DSC_0543.JPG #ad

2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

late thirties or forties. kinds hard to tell from just a rear pic, a front shot would really tell.

3. jehjeh

I thought that might be the case. I wasn't able to get ahead of it to get a picture of the front. Thanks though.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Back fenders and window, it's pre-48 (start of the F-series). Its a 1938 - 1947, based on the back fenders and back window. Like noted, the front would tell us the rest, they changed the front in 1940, 1942. I believe minor changes by year from 1943-1947 but I'm not an expert on that era truck. I've probably got some id data in one of the numerous books I have, if you had a front picture.

5. jehjeh

Thanks. Hopefully I'll see it again one day in traffic.

6. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I did post here this morning, said it was 1940, not sure where my post went..

7. jehjeh

Thank you. You probably answered in the other forum. I also posted in 1938-1947 as I was unsure of what era the truck was from. What is the “tell” from the rear that helps identify the year? I know that it’s much easier to tell from the front.

8. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

It could actually be a 40 or 41 because of the shape of the front fenders, only 2 years like that..

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  9. BKW Founding Member

Appears to be 1938/41. 1938/39 has an oval grille, 1940/41 pickup grille resembles 1939 Ford deluxe passenger car grille.

10. havi

pickup bed is newer, or made.

11. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

[​IMG]#ad

Here's a 39, I still believe the truck in question is a 40-41

12. BKW Founding Member

See next post...

13. BKW Founding Member

Bumper is from a late 1930's DeSoto, tail lamps are 1940 Ford car (with added 'blue dot'), wheels appear to be 1933/34 Ford car.

14. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

All I'm saying is the front fenders on the original picture i question to me look 40-41 and the last picture I posted is a 39 and front fenders are different. the rest of the truck was built to the persons taste to make it's own..not here to argue..

15. BKW Founding Member

Not here to argue (do enough of that on t'other site). Just commenting on what some of the parts are from.

For example, at one time 1939 DeSoto bumpers were a very popular swap.

Today, there are very few people around (extant) that could recognize a '39 DeSoto, much less its bumpers.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >