< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Oldiesask

I have an '84 with a '93 7.3 non turbo. I could not get the IP to stop sucking air, finally had to put the old 6.9 IP on it. Runs well, no air in the fuel anymore, but I know the timing should be set. I cannot find anyone brave enough to even open the hood! no one within 150 miles will touch it!
    I have heard you can set them by ear, I have set timing that way many times with gas engines with good results, but I don't know what to listen for with a diesel, is there anyone here who has done this, and can give me some pointers. I am still trying to find a mechanic who knows these things, and has the tool, but it seems just a little warm, and I want to be sure, before I try towing with it.
    Thank you.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I've heard timing these things by ear is only for the very experienced with them, who know how the engine should "feel." If it were me I'd look into finding an old school diesel timing kit on eBay.

3. Oldiesask

Thanks. I am still looking for an experienced IDI mechanic, but that kit may be my best option.
    As I understand, timing them is tricky, even with the correct probe, but if I get one and experiment with it I guess I will learn.

4. iicap

5. Oldiesask

Thanks Rich, lots of good info there, but that project is on hold right now, got to change a transmission on the daily driver before winter hits. I have a lead on someone who may be able to time it, old school retired diesel mechanic, he's busy with harvest right now though. I will try to get what I need to tackle that truck in spring.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >