Ignition troubles/Won't stop cranking

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by JKelly, Oct 6, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JKelly

Hello Folks,
    Due to life's pace, today was the first time in close to a month that went out to start my truck. I have a 1980 Ford F-150 4x4 with a 302 and four speed manual transmission. I turned the key to the run position, hear the buzzer sound off and pump the gas pedal a few times. Whenever a week or more passes in between starting, the truck can take a couple of attempts to start. I turned the key over and the engine cranked like normal. I let it crank for approximately 5 seconds while pumping the pedal. I then turned the key to the off position and let it rest for a moment. I then turned the key and after approximately 3 seconds of cranking, the engine fired up so I let go of the key and let it return to the run position. However, the starter would not stop cranking. I turned the key to the off position and then pulled it out entirely. The motor shut off, but the starter continued cranking. I popped the hood, jumped out disconnected the battery. Finally, everything stopped. After looking things over and not finding anything obvious, I briefly reconnected the battery . Even with the keys in my pocket, the starter began cranking the motor. I immediately disconnected the battery and here I am.
    Could it be the ignition switch? Solenoid? Ignition module? I'm not sure what to test or try at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for reading this long post. Have a great day!
    Respectfully, Josh

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

welcome to FTZ.
    sounds like the fender mount starter relay is sticking.

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You have a bad solenoid
    They are basicly a set of copper disc inside that hit together when you turn the key to start
    Eventually the copper disc get burnt spots on it, and weld themselves together

I would buy a motorcraft replacement for it, as the cheaper replacement products don't seem to last as long

Campspringsjohn and JWC 3 like this.
  4. JKelly

Thank you very much for your help!

5. JKelly

6. JKelly

I will go grab a Motorcraft solenoid. Thanks for your help dustybumpers, have a great day!

7. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

to add more info to what Charlie said:
    when the battery gets low on charge from sitting, it will pass more current through the contacts in the relay, causing a larger arc.
    sometimes this arc will weld the contacts together. usually you can break the contact with a good smack on the side of the relay, but once the contacts get burnt they will start to stick more often, or one day they will not make contact anymore.
    the cheap chinese relays that are sold here anymore are really bad, i have had 4 "new" ones in a row not work.
    even the new motorcraft units are not the same quality they were 15 years ago.

JKelly and JWC 3 like this.
  8. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I agree. ... nothing is as good as it used the be.

JKelly likes this.
  9. JKelly

Thanks Gents, the solenoid is exactly what it was. I really appreciate your help! Hope y'all have a great weekend. God bless!

dustybumpers and JWC 3 like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >