Implementing post-modern features on older trucks (tech ideas)

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by FordBoy89, Apr 10, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FordBoy89

Hey guys. So...I've been thinking lately about how I could add techno features to my truck that were unheard of in those days. For example...adding the feature that turns on the parklights when you open the doors. Another one I thought of was an interior light delay after you close the doors. Or...a crazy touchscreen stereo system. Such are the things I would like to add (not all of them). Any suggestions? Comments?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

For the touchscreen, there are a ton of different Android based touchscreens available on Amazon. They are essentially a tablet built into a case with all the I/O adapters (and amplifier) needed. Radio, GPS, MP3 player, video player, most any Android app, WiFI, some have cell connections, external camera ports, and so on for a few hundred dollars. We bought one for my wife's 2005 Explorer.

3. FordBoy89

But when you look at the way the dash is shaped on the 89 f150s, you only have room to put a thin stereo display in there where the old one was. How do you fit the new touchscreen ones?

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

5. FordBoy89

OHH! Ok. Never seen one of those. That's just downright awesome.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You can see them in person at walmart

7. FordBoy89

That's too cool. haha. Pretty cheap too.

8. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Heated seats are another easy thing to add. And if you get the radio, you can add a back up camera. Remote start is another one that can be added, but it might be easier just to pay someone to install it for you. The sales and install on basic remote start systems with alarm is pretty cheap these days.

9. FordBoy89

OH YEAH!!! Remote start! I forgot that one. That will definitely be added to my list.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >