in dash vs under hood ac systems?

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by fomocolife, Nov 30, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. fomocolife

after looking at various ac trucks i notice that some have the big box on the bulkhead/firewall and some don't. and have a 2 knob switch panel to the left of the glovebox.
    my question is
    would it be difficult or even worthwhile to retro fit the behind dash a.c system into a firewall a.c system truck?
    my reasoning is under hood space and the benefit of extra room for the turbo on s cummins swap.

thanks

Tags:
  2. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

It is a major bit of work to get that factory AC firewall to to look good after removing the factory AC!
    Round about way of saying, 'for me' AC is never worth the effort, but removing it is:angelic:
    For you it just depends on how how much work you want to do....

3. fomocolife

well my a.c is allready there mounted to the firewall but its bulky and i just thought the behind dash version
    ( whatever that is?) seems a lot neater and like i said it would help clearance though not strictly nesc i also like the look of the 2 knob set up.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Depends on what you want

The kits are nice, look good, and pretty easy to instal
    They are great for an application where no A/C /heat was available before
    I loved the kit I put in my 56 pick up

Bad side, you don't get replacement parts at the local parts house when something goes wrong
    When the heater core went bad in the kit, I had to replace the whole evaporator/ heater core unit

5. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

If you decide to delete the OEM AC you will need to close the holes in the firewall.
    The easiest way to do that is to weld-replace the section of the firewall with the same bit from a non AC truck.
    I cut and salvage them whenever I can.
    The aftermarket such as Vintage Air has components to allow you to replace the factory AC and or Heat systems completely.
    That would allow you to replace the firewall with just a section of flat sheet-metal.

6. fomocolife

im
    not sure i was clear enough??
    i have seen a.c trucks with factory looking set ups
    but 2 kinds.

one has the ac switch in the regular heater control and a big box on the firewall.

the other has a black panel
    with 2 control knobs in the place thats blank or has vents just to the left of the glovebox
    these appear? to have the a.c unit built in behind the dash i have seen lots of these.

i am not refering to the under dash mounted a.c units about the size of a vcr you see that look aftermarket

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  7. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Having a aversion to AC, I am no help! I just remove it the fastest way possible!
    The difference you describe I do not recall ever seeing... We are dealing with an option in a Ford though!
    Was there a Dealer installed AC option? That would explain the differences.

8. fomocolife

maybe or maybe its a year difference? but i have seen lots of both type.

im curious why do you remove it?

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

@BKW and his photographic memory of these trucks will be able to answer whether both types were factory.

10. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

The factory system is a total PITA when you have to do other things like a Spark Plug, or other maintenance, not to mention headers, or a Big Block.
    Living on the high desert I find that I might want AC maybe once a year for a few hours.
    The Ford system is (based on limited experience) not a great performer with running on other then real R12 refrigerant.
    I most often deal with systems that have to be repaired having not worked for years.
    The cost to resurrect such a system mechanically is less the the price of eliminating the system. Read that as BIG $$$$.
    Cutting out the firewall, replacing the firewall, paint, and installing the Heat only fan and duct work.

The AC on my 94 Ranger needs a new compressor but is otherwise good to go: new compressor, requite bleed, flush, recharge...
    $900.00 and it only died because I never use it!
    For me that is not a good use of finite project $$$$.

11. fomocolife

ahh ok i see.
    well for me i dont have to deal with spark plugs or headers and its nice to have sat in traffic or a crazy hot day allthough i dont constantly use it in my other trucks / vehicles its nice to have
    even in my (friday afternoon build quality) dodge trucks.

the firewall repair doesnt phase me because i would use the panel from the behind dash version. im just wondering IF the behind dash set up is any good better worse than the bulky
    firewall version.

i dont want to make work but it sure would clean things up and give some clearence for a turbo ... or spark plugs headers etc

12. fomocolife

IMG_3682.JPG #ad
    IMG_3683.JPG #ad

these type allthough im more talking about the ones in pic thats hard to see ive not seen this other type before

13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

That is a dealer installed system

14. BKW Founding Member

A/C pictured in post #11 is Type #2. EDIT: See post #15 for a pic of this unit.

1973/79 F100/350 & 1978/79 Bronco: Three different types of Ford A/C:

1) Factory installed integral A/C is combined with the heater. The A/C controls are in the same panel as the heater controls.

The huge evaporator case is located at the right rear corner of the engine compartment.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2) Deluxe dealer installed A/C is combined with the heater.

The two A/C switches are located in the HUGE dash bezel that sweeps across the entire right side of the dash, covering up the glove box.

There is a separate 'hang-on' glove box bolted to the bottom of the dash.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3) Economy dealer installed A/C is not combined with the heater.

The two A/C switches are located in a panel that also contains two registers.

This panel fits into the dash to the left of the glove box.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  15. BKW Founding Member

Type #2 = Dealer installed Deluxe A/C

20171208142307FPS-8096-B.jpg #ad

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >