Installed electric fuel pump

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by JamesU, Oct 3, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JamesU

ok so I eliminated the manual fuel pump and installed an electric one that has 4-7 psi on my 86 6.9l idi and it now smokes blue/white and chatters while holding the throttle steady between 1500 and 2500 rpms. It does this both while driving it and just holding it steady around 1600 rpms not moving.
    I am wondering if it could possibly have some air intrusions or if the electric fuel pump is over fueling the motor? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Neither blue nor white is a good sign.

Blue being oil (rings, valves or too much fuel causing fuel into the crank case oil).

White being coolant - unless the engine is cold then it could just be it needs to warm up.

3. JamesU

Okay. I knew neither color was good just wasn't sure if it may have been caused by eliminating the manual pump and going to an electric one or something else. The motor never smoked like this prior to the fuel pump swap. I have changed all fuel components other than injection pump and injectors.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >