Installing new torque converter into newly rebuilt c6

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by lazbiker, Aug 22, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. lazbiker

So I've completed building my new performance 351w and test ran it. I had the c6 transmission rebuilt by Transmission Outlet in Tucson. I picked up a new torque converter and just installed it.

Shouldn't I be able to freespin the converter 360 deg? I can only spin it about 110 deg before it stops.

2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

It should turn! !!
    Something ain't correct.

56panelford likes this.
  3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Back up. ..... are you talking about turning by hand ?or spinning like a pinwheel? ?????

56panelford likes this.
  4. lazbiker

I'm turning it by hand.

5. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

as you were turning the torque converter, did it "set" into the transmission?
    that is when the tc is engaged into the pump.
    there will be resistance when turning the tc by hand.

6. lazbiker

I felt it set. I expected resistance, but it simply won't turn 360 deg. It allows about 110 deg. I should still be able to shift the transmission shouldn't I?

7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

It should turn 360 over and over. , and you should be able to shift the transmission. ...... can you not move the shift lever?

56panelford likes this.
  8. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

if you have your old TC, try it on your transmission, see if it rotates 360 as it should.
    going on what I read here, your rebuilder may need to take a look at your transmission.
    the TC needs to be able to rotate 360 when it is engaged in the transmission/pump.

9. lazbiker

The old torque converter had the same symptom, so that ruled it out as the problem. I just took the converter, transmission, and transfercase, as a unit, to the shop. They'll figure out what they did wrong.

10. lazbiker

Front pump was broken.

11. lazbiker

According to my transmission guy, I must have not seated the TC all the way back when I first installed it. The broken gears in the front pump are the usual damage when that happens.

12. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

He is correct. Sorry. ......

56panelford likes this.
  13. lazbiker

New front pump:$95
    The time for me to take the transmission/transfer case out and back in myself: 4hrs
    The knowledge I now have from screwing it up and fixing it: priceless

captchas and 56panelford like this.
  14. lazbiker

I have another question for all. I took the advice of dustybumpers and bought a "stand alone" ignition system due to removing all emissions related components from my truck (I'm IM exempt). I test ran the motor successfully on a stand. Now I still want all of my instruments on the stock dash to work. I found the wiring harness for the ignition control module and identified every wire. Can't I simply attach these wires to the stand alone ignition system to make my gauges and meters still function? Will wiring the trucks electronics into the stand alone system mess anything up??

15. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Yes, you can splice the guages in, but they are actually idiot lights.

Invest in a good set of aftermarket guages

Sorry for the delay. Been in the hospital

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >