Installing Roof lights

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by macman_85602, May 11, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. macman_85602

Hello again.

I figured i would ask a bunch of questions to help get the party rolling here.

I am wanting to install a light bar (redneck lights) on my truck. what is the best way to run the wires into the cab and behind the seat where the relays are going to be?

Do I
    A) drill the roof and silicone it,
    B) drill the cargo light and bring it in there
    C) run it down the outside securing it somehow
    D) bring it down somewhere else.

I am planing on using 10Ga extension cord 5 lights 2 circuits 3 lights on 1 2 on the other fully weather sealed and 1 physical line coming in.

Also how do I keep it from banging around up there and making a lot of noise.

Scott

Tags:
  2. fords8

Do you have a pic of this light bar?

3. macman_85602

Haven't gotten it yet looking at a light bar from Carr.

4. BKW Founding Member

Check with AZ statues before installing the light bar, because...

Here in CA red and blue lights are illegal on private vehicles, are only installed on police & emergency vehicles.

And, believe it or not, the same thing also applies to red & blue bug deflectors!

5. macman_85602

All i want is the spotlights not strobes

6. BKW Founding Member

Spotlights are now illegal in CA except on police and emergency vehicles.

The last time Ford offered them was in 1972.

7. macman_85602

This is what i am thinking
    images.ashx.jpg #ad

8. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

Hi macman 85602, I've put on a few lights over the years. I went with drilling the roof by the light bar mount, running the wire under the headliner and down the A pillar under the trim to the fusebox. If no pillar trim on yours, the wiring might hide under the inside seam of the weatherstrip around the door. I sealed the hole with silicone after cleaning the metal with thinner or acetone. Twice used a tiny rubber grommet in the hole to keep the wire from abrading on the edge of the hole. I never saw rust on them after years.
    ---

Bill nice to see ya' again! Right here's a good forum we got invited to, glad of it :thumbup:

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  9. ncranchero Founding Member

What banging around?

I'm considering a cargo light mod to get my wiring inside. I'd hate to drill a hole....

CA, what would we do without them and all of their regulations. Red and blue BUG DEFLECTORS?? That's hilarious!

Scott, you may have to put covers on the off-road lights but I doubt it.

10. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

I should have asked is this a permanent mod?

Ah, you're putting the relays behind the seat. Drilling holes in a perfectly good body is almost a sin sometimes, but if this is a permanent mod then routing the wire inside the body and headliner, up under the carpet to the relays behind the seat, would keep the wires out of the way. If the wire laid over the rain gutter then runs inside the door it's a target to get snagged; if 4-wheeling then brush or a branch could. Or your other idea through the cargo light ought to keep the wire outta' the way. A couple of ways to go.

11. macman_85602

Do I drill off to one side or center the hole on the roof?

I am wanting this to be permanent. I just don't want the the wire flopping around the roof driving me nuts.

This is an XLT standard cab so nothing behind the seat (yet) looking at that being the best place to hide all the relays keeping them neat and organized. i am also planning to run a 0 - 2Ga power wire from the battery to power a small fuse box back there which powers the lights and an amp also to be mounted behind the seat that should be big enough to power everything. later on i may look into a second battery and bigger alternator.

12. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

I routed the wire down the mount (inside the mount if it will, or use nice cableties), drilled over the driver's seat where the light(s) mounted, fitted a grommet over the wire, fed the wire inside (you've already removed enough trim/headliner to grab it), then down under the A pillar trim (B pillar or post for you), to the carpet, under the carpet to where the relays will be. You're building quite a power center back there - a big sound system too maybe? There's a lot of resources on the web to build a clean, safe power center. Anything will burn with enough amperage - I once worked on DC cabinets on permanent rubber mats, well grounded, and required Two Person Integrity because of easy shock hazards. Yea that was from transformers, and you're getting some serious Amps back there by the carpet and stuff. It'll be fun, just a few details to look out for :)

13. macman_85602

The plan is that everything will be fused, main line fused at both ends. 10 circuit fuse panel that will power the relays and the amp turn on.

The end plan is 11 lights, 2 front bumper, 5 over head, 2 headache rack, 2 under rear bumper. total of 5 light circuits.

For me the wiring part is easy I am just trying to figure out the best way to get the roof lights wire into the cab. Looks like just drilling a hole center under the light bar will be the best way. I am planing to use 3 conductor 10Ga extension cord for the runs to the lights. It is Cheap and durable and weather proof just need to protect it from the Arizona sun.

From the relay bank behind the seat I will run a DB15 connector up under the dash to the switches that control the lights, they are all low amperage just turning the relays on and off. I am also going to built a switch box above the radio / heater controls with 8 switches 5 in use and the rest for future use.

a bit confusing but it is strait in my head

Scott

14. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

Ah, the master plan. You're going to have a 4-wheelin' light show on the trails or dunes :joyful:

15. macman_85602

sucks to be the guy who hits me with his high beams. :Danim

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso