Interesting 2015+ F150 Feature

Discussion in '2015 - 2020 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by FTZ HAIC, Oct 19, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

17FordRaptor_01_HR.jpg #ad

This unusual piece of roof sheet metal structure, not found on previous models.... is it functional, to help hold the windshield in place, or to help strengthen the roof on the alumiunum body? Or is it purely an asthetic design feature?

Tags:
  2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Doesn't look like it serves any function but a different look.

3. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

There must be a reason for it. Some trucks have the full glass roof, so it might have something to do with that.

4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I know it's going to be interesting to see how these aluminum bodies hold up to our Canadian winters and states bordering the oceans because of all the salt. They say there won't rust but I'm sure they will corrode and might have a lot of paint issues.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Bet it holds up better than steel! Steel... one scratch through the zinc coating and it's all over for rust protection. At least with aluminum the way it oxidizes it creates a somewhat protective film.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  6. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

We will see in a few years, although my 99 Chev pickup has seen better days, there are many trucks of all brands that are 5 times worse than mine and of ones the same vintage as mine. It seems they are built this way on purpose this days, not to last.

7. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

I couldn't see any reason other than asthetic design

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >