Intermittent dead battery

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Hobe320, Sep 25, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Hobe320

2020 F250 6.2l gas....... been having VERY intermittent dead battery of late. OEM battery tests OK. I've read that there could be a loose battery ground wire(s). I have been 'off-road' lately on 'washboard' roads, therefore lots of vibration. I'm looking for a definitive list/diagram of all the battery ground strap locations. Videos on this subject, I've found, are hard to discern or do not apply, wrong year, engine etc. So there it is. Unless someone has another reason to research why the battery is failing every once in a while with no pattern.

2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

3. Hobe320

Thank you!

4. Hobe320

Update on this situation, now gone from bad to worse. My truck is now dead in a local shopping center parking lot. I tried jumping it, as I have done in the past, with a portable DBPower mini jumper battery and my truck just clicks. I had a buddy with a RAM (embarrassing) try using jumper from his truck to mine...and my F250 just clicks....... NOTE: the clicking is not a rapid clicking like a solenoid from years gone by. Lights, windows, radio all worked while hooked up to the other truck. Now I'm forced to have it towed to 'who knows where'....as I'm stuck in Gunnison Colorado and nearest Ford dealership is over a 100 miles in any direction.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Sorry to hear that. Not on this particular vehicle, but my Camaro had a similar situation which turned out to be corrosion internally on the positive battery lead. Alternator and battery would both test okay, but it wouldn't start, and accessories like the radio worked.

6. Hobe320

Thanks for that info....I've tightened every thing I can think of, cleaned the terminals.......the leads to the solenoid/starter are showroom condition and tight, OHM'ed out negative battery terminal to the fender, block and firewall grounding straps.....the last thing is the battery.....I have to, in spite of its' young age, replace the battery....it's the consensus of opinion it's bad. thanks to all.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >