Intermittent shift issues

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by WGreen, Nov 5, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. WGreen

Hi, new to the forum. I have a 92 F150 4x2 351ci. E4OD transmission. I have an issue with the truck neutraling out while driving. Let off the gas, it shifts hard back into gear and will continue on. Most recently it will not shift into OD. I have had the truck for over 20 yrs. with no major issues. Tanny serviced every 30k. When the issue started I swapped out the shifter switch on the driver side twice, serviced the transmission (flush & fill, filter). It might go 6 mo. with no issue or it might go 100 yards before it does it again. The truck has been down for a year now and no one has been able to help me figure it out. I can't check for codes due to Obd 1 connection on the truck now not working. Also have replaced the speed sensor on the axle. Please help. I am mechanically inclined and do most all repairs myself. I miss my truck and want to be able to enjoy it again. It has about 250k on it.

Tags:
  2. WGreen

Evidently no one here has a clue either.

3. captchas

sounds like a leak internally esp with the age and mileage. either way it's shop time for a rebuild

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Listen to @captchas advice, he knows transmissions (lots more than I do!)

5. WGreen

Hi captchas, please don't think I am dismissing your post, I just have some questions. Would the transmission still be strong with an internal leak? No slipping, will still pull anything I load. Could the obd1 connector not working be related? I'm not a transmission guy, but to me it seems electrical. Please advise. I appreciate any enlightenment as to anything I can eliminate. Thank you very much for your reply. I look forward to hearing back from you.

6. Oldiesask

I am not a transmission guru by any means, but I have heard the early E4OD had questionable torque converters. It sounds like yours could be sucking air, or leaking down internally, after 250K.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >