Is it worth it to switch to an aluminum intake manifold?

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by oldpops, Feb 21, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. oldpops

Got a 2001 F150 (5.4L/2V) and it might have a intake manifold leak (along with a few other problems). Anyway, I am wondering if is worth it switch over to an aluminum intake manifold? I've see some stories on the internet where the guys who did the switch grabbed an aluminum intake off of a 1999 F150 - Is that the only year for the Aluminum intake manifold?. Are there other years/models with the 5.4L/2V aluminum intake manifold?

The stories I have read say that there is much more involved than a straight swap - Is this true? Is it worth it do do the switch, or just get a replacement plastic one? Are there any GOOD plastic intake manifolds (not DORMAN)?

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

factory manifold from ford.
    never had any problems with them once replaced..

3. oldpops

Well, I finally Got a chance to pressure test the coolant system. Don't know if it's good news or not, but I don't see any leak coming from the radiator, or radiator hoses, or from the front area of the upper intake or thermostat area, or the water pump area. The bad news is that the leak is coming from somewhere at/between the firewall and/or the back of the engine, on the heater hose side of the engine, which is of course very difficult to get a look at. However, I don't see any leaks at the heater hose connections on the firewall, nor did I find any leak inside the cab below the glove box or carpeting below dash. So, I learned I definitely have a leak when doing a pressure test, but I just can't find the exact source of the leak when looking up from below, and I can't see the leak source when looking down from above. However, I was unable to really get myself up on the engine and look down between the back of the engine and the firewall so i don't know for sure if i have a leak in the manifold back there, or if it's something else. I will try and get a better look once I find my inspection camera. All I know now is that the leak is somewhere in the back left side of the engine/firewall area, (if the hood was down I would be looking from directly in front of the truck on the front passenger side). So somewhere on the left side/or around or below the back left side of the engine. I can't find any heater hose diagrams but I believe there is a hose that comes from under the manifold that has some kind of connection back there, or some kind of hose nipple that is a common source of leaks. Any ideas/advice?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso