Is the 2022 open to hacking?

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by ifallsguy, Sep 22, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. ifallsguy

With the 2022 trucks designed to be updated OTA (over the air), how secure will they really be? Ford has designed OTA access for updates, fixes, etc. Nothing is hackproof.

It is my understanding you cannot turn off the OTA without causing a lot of problems with the truck, including the possibility of no start if no OTA. Ford has designed the system so it can monitor issues then correct them with an update. That means if they have a software update for the transmission, they just push it out and upload. Better fuel mix for emissions, just push it out and upload.

The idea is to save the customer from having to return to the dealer and to make sure all updates are installed into these vehicles. That also means they have the ability to locate the vehicle, see how it's being used (normal driving or burning rubber at every stop sign). And several techs who have seen the new OTA system have said the use of Forscan, if it can be used to make modifications, can (or will) be picked up by Ford. Does that mean they can reverse or use it to deny a warranty claim. They are sure any attempt to defeat emissions will be picked up and sent back to Ford. Question then is does Ford void truck warranty or will they have the ability to to disable the vehicle? With EPA starting to really crack down on deletes of emission controls, the later is very likely.

Not to be political, but if someone doesn't want the Covid 19 vaccine because "it contains a microchip" to track them, would they want a truck which talks back to Ford? Of course they probably already can be tracked since they use a cell phone (with send a ping to nearby towers every 30 seconds) which can easily be tracked as can their travel history.

So what do you think about OTA? Are you willing to let Ford have full access to your truck? I really would like to go with Sync 4 for the larger screen and more memory and functions, but I don't like the fact it is hackable.

This is not to be political, but I put out there as something to think about.

Tags:
    wrencheswild and mrbraq like this.
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Ford can't disable it because it's been modified, this falls under right to repair laws.

But they can, and do, deny warrantees if they determine the PCM has been changed.
    I used to be very active in the tuning business, and I'm glad I'm not in it these days.

People are not going to have much choice if they want to buy new because all auto makers are going in this direction. Most people aren't going to care, overall. The same remarks were said about event recorders.... people wouldn't put up with it but they did put up with it and it hasn't slown down sales at all.

ifallsguy likes this.
  3. ifallsguy

The fact Ford and other companies can easily pull up any modification made and how the vehicle reacted to the mod will make it much easier to deny warranty. Would turning off the double beep cause a denial? Probably not. But what about when the auto stop/start was being disabled by disconnecting the plug to the trailer brake control and then complaining about numerous other functions not working? That did lead to pay out of pocket, depending on how the dealer wanted to handle it. Now Ford and others can actually see what was done and I'm thinking dealers will have less latitude to be able to convince warranties if there is a question.

And any mod to emission control will be easier to determine. I agree people will learn to live with it. But I really wonder the reaction will be when some 14 year old decides to hack into some neighbor he wants to game and make changes. I'm planning on keeping my 2020. I'm 70 and while I had thought about buying a 2022 or 23, I'll stick with something that is a bit more difficult to get into via wireless hacking.

mrbraq likes this.
  4. wrencheswild

Makes me second guess im in a 21 but ordered 22 . I really wanted the 12 in screen and long bed but dang.. . I also use forscan (double honk.. tried lincoln mirrors didnt work even w spin swap)

5. wrencheswild

God forbid we loose servers internet for whatever reason will truck even work?

Planning on my alimiduty being mad max

6. ifallsguy

Did you do all settings for the Lincoln fold? Went in without an issue on my truck. Also set start sync start screen to the new Bronco screen and lane change signal to max (5 flash without trailer/9 flash with trailer. Make sure you are using the 2020 or later spread sheet.

7. wrencheswild

Im think it was 2017 plus sheet i havent seen the 2020.

I have the lincoln start screen (its gold/brown) hue matches the king ranch interior better than the stick blue

8. wrencheswild

Do you have link for 2020 sheet. Im going to check forscan forum. Probably there

9. DonW

probably already "hackable", after all we ARE being watched every minute. 40 yrs ago a satellite could read the date on a penny lying on the sidewalk, don't you think they know your every move??

10. wrencheswild

I did see some reference to some guys using forscan on a 22 tremor.

11. ifallsguy

Having worked in government intelligence (now there is an oxymoron!!!) I gotta love those people who buy into the "40 yrs ago a satellite could read the date on a penny lying on the sidewalk". Glad the propaganda worked. We were good, not that good. In the 80's we could tell you what color car, normally the make and if lucky we might be able to read the plate. Atmospheric distortion and technology were limitations. It's not like CSI on TV where they find a murder, run tests (which could take days or weeks) and find the murderer, arrest him/her all in one hour. And they throw in about 15 minutes of commercials while they solve the crime. Yes, we are tracked by our cell phones, use of credit cards (buying habits), and anything else you can think of you can be tracked with.

12. wrencheswild

I just want to know my truck won't be "killed" when someone (Government or Otherwise) takes control of some server building in Virginia and my Truck no longer works. I am having serious questions!!
    I feel like Ill end up with the new truck. Damn I wish I would've just listened to my wife ordered the new truck a while back and waited. I would've gotten a 21 and no issue. I have a 21 now but doesn't have the long bed primarily and ya know clearance lights block heater blah blah bunch of little stuff

13. DonW

And Alexa and google and on and on..

ifallsguy and wrencheswild like this.
  14. DonW

Are you guys talking forscan or foreskin? Sometimes I wonder…..

15. wizardfitz

Not to high jack thread, but referencing what you said about denying a claim bc the ecm was tampered with. How does the forscan affect things? I figured it would also void the warranty but when I asked in other forums was told no.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >