Is this what the US Ranger will look like?

Discussion in '2019 - 2024 Ford Ranger' started by FTZ HAIC, Jan 4, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Without other trucks by it, the photos don't give a great indication of scale, but it sure does look like almost what used to be considered a full sized truck before the larger F150 platform appeared in 2004.

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

looks like a honder ridgeline

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

To me it looks nothing like it. Completely different front with a six sided grille versus the Ridgeline with a much lower four sided grille, facia under the grille is different, much taller doors on the Ranger.
    ranger.jpg #ad
    download (2).jpg #ad

In the back, the bed is much deeper, the bumper is a separate piece while on the Ridgeline it forms up with the body, taillights are similar to the F150, and the rear window is a standard rear window while the Ridgeline has overhangs on the top and sides. Also,the Ridgeline is more of a tall car profile than a truck profile.

Image3.jpg #ad
    2017-ridgeline-02_0.jpg #ad

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Based on numbers from the international versions, even the base engine will have more horsepower and torque than any model F150 before the 2004 F150 model (except the Lightning). Plus it will be about the same size as pre-2004 trucks... longer wheelbase, about the same length, slightly narrowed width, and taller height. They've come a long way since the older Ranger model.

If I'm ever in the market to add another truck this might be the one I'd get for my needs.

5. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

It is a nice looking ride. but I wonder about just how much "car" is in the design.
    Anything on the expected price point yet?
    I doubt that I'll ever be able to justify the price of anything new in this lifetime.
    Mainly due to having learned to never pay interest on the acquisition a depreciating asset unless there is no other choice... Just curiosity.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The Ranger T-6 platform is full frame, 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive, up to 7700 lbs towing. Nothing car about it.

If we get a new model Ranger it will be a one that is 2-3 years old. Last time I bought anything new was the Roush F150 in 2006, and then only because I worked out a deal doing articles. Interest? Naw, I pay cash when I buy. No car or *mortgage payments to worry about.

*(Even though a house is not an appreciating asset. Homes historically appreciate about 3-4% annually, about 1% more than the rate of inflation. Figure in the average annual maintenance runs about 2-3% of the cost of the home, then property taxes, and sales commissions when it's bought.... and a house is long term loss in most cases. :( )

7. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

8. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

2 words: "LEG ROOM"

If it doesn't have it, it will have that in common with the older short cab rangers.

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Front legroom is 41.65", versus 39.2" for the 1998-2011 Ranger, which is a pretty big step up. To put that in perspective, my 2006 F150 has 41.3" of legroom.

10. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Lived in the house 20 years, sold it for a 100% gain after ALL costs taken out. Timing and luck:cigar:

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Dollars yes, but what of spending power? Throw inflation over a 20 year period, say from 1995 to 2015, and it's 42 cents on the dollar of actual spending power on the gain. Did you buy your replacement home for the same or lower price per sq foot as you paid 20 years earlier? If not then there's the hit you took on the appreciated market value of the replacement home.

Muel likes this.
  12. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Yes, I factored Inflation, taxes, Comparable living expenses, etc, into account.
    Flat out, the only place I have ever made enough $$ to justify the costs has been Real Estate.

13. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Ford will likely do what GM did with pricing. Accessorize the hell out of it, 'cause that's what we keep demanding. Next thing you know, there's only a 10% price differential between the Ranger and a comparably equipped F150.

While the base price may be less, all of the adds are the same cost...if not more. Fuel economy becomes a marginal denominator. As you add goodies, the more economical engines typically become less available....as is true with most OEM models.

Unless you're going to drive the wheels off of them, the full size may still be the better deal. Disclaimer: Ken would drive them down to the rotors so most of this post will be both irrelevant and irreverent to him...:)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Muel likes this.
  14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm been on and off the fence about getting rid of my F250 Powerstroke for a couple of years. Right now the used truck market is getting hot again, so there's a chance I might do it. At this point, the F250 is more truck than I need, and has been for a while. I don't necessarily drive them until the wheels fall off, its just that I keep them a long time because since we moved to Alabama I hardly put any miles on them. I have put 50,000 miles on the F250 in 12 years, most of those the first 5 years I had it. The tires age out before they wear out!

Campspringsjohn and KW5413 like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >