Is this worth it??

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by RS4_12, Apr 5, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. RS4_12

So is this truck worth it??
    1966 Ford F-100 Custom Cab
    it has 27393 miles but its not in the best condition
    it has the 352 20V V8 and the 3 speed manual with overdrive all from the factory
    the guy that I would be buy from is selling it for really cheap
    (btw i'm sorry for the bad pictures I had my brother take them....)

Tags:
  2. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Welcome to the ZONE! How cheap is cheap? Looks like a ton of rust that will take a bunch of cash and time to repair (don't ask me how I know...).
    Look at the bottom of the doors, lower rear back of the cab on each side, under the floor mats, around the core support, any lower areas are very prone to rusting and can be a challenge to rebuild.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Didn't those odometers roll over at 99,999? If so, I'd guess 127,393.

One thing about building up older vehicles. As general rule of thumb the more you spend up front for a better condition starting point, the less you're going to spend in total by the time the project is completed. And from the looks of it, there isn't a single item on this truck that won't require repair, replacement or reconditioning.

If you're goal is to simply get it running and use it as a beat up work truck, it might be worth it but that is assuming the engine isn't frozen up, the carb doesn't need a complete rebuild, or any number of other problems which can easily add up to hundreds of dollars each.

4. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

How cheap is cheap? It'd damn sure be a project, that's for sure. The grill looks to be in good shape. And if the 352 is salvageable, that'd be worth a few bucks.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Funny you mention the grill John, my very first impression was if the grill isn't dented it would be worth as much as the rest of the truck! Those aluminum grills are hard to come by in good shape!

6. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

There are parts on the front end/grill area that'd be worth some money, even if the rest of the truck is junk. I bet the Custom Cab chrome pieces on the doors would fetch a pretty penny. I'd be looking at this truck pretty hard, especially if you can get it at a good price.

7. RS4_12

Its 200 dollars because he was just going to scrap it...
    he has a 1970 something (the next generation f100 after this one) f100 ranger that ran before he parked it and isn't in tall grass that looks much better but not sure what engine all i know is it has leather seats and an automatic..
    he is also selling that for 200 dollars but i like the 352 and the 3 speed manual... i guess i could just buy the ranger and later find a different engine and transmission and put in it

8. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Where are you located? I'd be interested in one of those if they're close to me! Scraping that old steel would be a shame. The parts are worth something.

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Buy them both, fix the easiest one to get going, sell it, then, take the money and put it into the other one

10. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

I would say buy it

11. RS4_12

@Campspringsjohn according to your location on your profile your not close... @dustybumpers unfortunately I don't have enough space in my driveway to buy both or I would. @whomrig I probably will.

12. BKW Founding Member

Custom Cab nameplates have been reproduced. The Custom Cab/Ranger grille was reproduced by Carpenter.

The Custom Cab/Ranger door trim panel mouldings are very hard to find.

No 1970's or earlier truck was available with leather seats.

13. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Which begs the question... what was the first year?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >