< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. old_truck_guy

Hello all,

I'm new in the forum, but not new to Ford trucks. I've previously owned a 63, 65, 82, and a 92. I love the early sixties F-100s and am currently looking for a unibody to start a new project with. My only real requirement is rust free, as I don't currently own a mig.

I want to do a mild build. Freshen up a straight six and add a 2x1 carb setup. As for the truck, lowered about 3-4" all around, painted flat black with painted steelies and wide whites.

I'm in the PDX area, so if anyone knows of a uni for a reasonable price let me know.

Tags:
  2. iicap

Hey, "old truck guy" welcome from another "old truck guy" Can't help you with a good Uni in CT, up here they're all rusted back to iron ore.

3. old_truck_guy

Thanks for the welcome. When I typed that screen name I chuckled a bit. Does the old mean I'm into old trucks, or does it mean I'm old and into trucks? Maybe both...

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm in the deep south, so I can't help with finding a truck, but I do want to welcome you to Ford Truck Zone!

5. iicap

At 77yrs young and a 66 F-250 my daily driver past 11-12 yrs, your are correct on both counts on this end. When you find your Uni and start your project, please consider sharing it with us here on FTZ, we'd love to see it. Good Luck.

6. old_truck_guy

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It looks like it's a pretty sold truck that someone else had as a project (the extra body parts in the bed), and for one reason or another they never finished it.

Do you have any specific plans like keeping or swapping the engine? Factory restore, or customize?

8. old_truck_guy

It was sitting in a barn for about 35 years. The extra parts are a spare front clip and rear fenders that the seller put in for me. As for the engine, I'm definitely keeping it but it needs a full rebuild. The intake and one of the heads is removed and the pistons are rusted in place, so it's going to be an expensive proposition. It has a rebuild tag on it saying the pistons are already .40 over and the main and rod bearings are both .10 over. I intend to rebuild it with some mild performance upgrades. I want some more juice but don't want to break the bank or sacrifice reliability.

9. iicap

I like it. Not knowing where you are, there is a truck like yours on FB marketplace here in CT. The chassis is cut and gone behind the cab. I'll check and see, if not rediculus price I'll get info. Will make you aware of anything pertaining to your cab style. Take us for the ride as you go along on the project.

Are you gonna write about it in the 1947 and pre F-Model Forum??

10. old_truck_guy

I'll absolutely be posting in the pre F series forum. Looks like I won't be doing a unibody after all, but I like the 42-47 better so it worked out.

Honestly it will be a little while before I get to do anything on this project, but I'll definitely post my progress once I have some to show.

11. old_truck_guy

Well, it's been about 2 years since I bought that truck and I haven't gotten anything done on it yet. I held off starting because my wife was pushing the idea of moving. I don't want to move a truck in pieces if I don't have to. Well, I decided to green light the move, and we moved a little while back. After that it was approximately 10,000 house projects which still aren't done. But I've managed to progress to the collecting parts phase of things. I'll be starting the actual work soon.

All this to say, hey, I finally posted on the 1947 and pre F-Model Forum: https://www.fordtruckzone.com/threa...with-long-breaks-between.676998/#post-5373542

iicap likes this.
  12. iicap

Gonna check You out on the 47 n pre forum!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >