converted braking system/front end

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by chuckd, Dec 16, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. chuckd

A year or so ago I put a 1975 disc brake front end on my '65 F 100. I used the 1975 Brake system complete with proportioning valve and vacuum booster. The old vacuum booster had a vacuum leak that got worse over time until I detected it recently and replaced the booster with a rebuilt one. Now the brakes seem really "sensitive". Is this something I need to get used to, or are there adjustments or other actions I can take to mitigate this?

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Pull the master back off the booster ( leave the lines hooked up)
    You can move it forward a bit like that

Take a flashlight, and look in where the master sits in the booster, you see a screw. Turn that in, 1 turn at a time ( or out).
    Keep putting the master back on, and off, with a road test in between, until the brake "hookup" is just right

56panelford likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, take it slow and adjust just a tiny amount at a time. Once it gets to the sweet spot there's not much past there where you end up with pads rubbing too hard all the time. My 67 F100 had perfect brakes when I upgraded it to discs. But my 2006 came from the factory with too soft a pedal and I used the same trick to firm it up.

4. chuckd

Sounds like what I am doing. But it still appears that I will have a mental and physical adjustment to make since it sure takes a lot less pressure to stop. Will play with it some more, but I think I am close to the "optimum" adjustment. Thank you for the responses. After this, the installation of a DS 2 ignition system on my inline 6 300. That should be fun!

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

There is also an adjustable proportioning valve avalable.
    I have used that in the past on the Mustang II front ends,

I have a 90 F 250 that I finally gave up on, and came to accept that it likes to slam the brakes.
    No matter what I do, it slams them on.

56panelford and FTZ HAIC like this.
  6. chuckd

Thanks for the tip on the adjustable proportioning valve. I will look that one up on line. Had not heard that one before. I suppose I can get the hang of sensitive brakes, it has gotten better with time, experience and adjustment - but what a difference from the old leaking vacuum booster.

7. For-dragon

It's better than the heart stopping reality of feeling the brake-pedal hit the floor without resistance from a leaking master-cylinder... When you shut your eyes and brace for impact more than once on a drive, you know it's time to replace a few things.

FTZ HAIC likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >