Just an update on my engine build....

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by lazbiker, Apr 22, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. lazbiker

If you guys remember, my old engine was just worn out in every way possible. I'm building a new 351w starting with a 79 block out of a Torino. Machine shop prepped the block to .030+ on the cylinders. I'm painting all components and am building with the following components: new cast iron heads (World Products from Summit Racing), Edelbrock dual plane dual quad intake manifold (Summit Racing), dual Holley 650cfm's, Edelbrock mechanical high performance fuel pump, CompCams cam kit (B303 cam, hydraulic tappet lifters, double roller timing set), all sealed power bearings, cast iron piston rings, sealed power pistons, ARP main, rod, and head bolts.

When I'm done, this is going to be one bad a$$ truck!

Tags:
  2. captchas

sounds like you may have the same worry i'm having, build a old Windsor up nice then worry about the becoming a twin 4 if it cracks down the middle to to much power gain.

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You worry too much Charlie
    I and a few others dow here have built som honery small blocks, and they keep on pulling
    UNLESS your going to pull the sled at the tractor pull, then I would start thinking a different power plant....Just my opinion

lazbiker likes this.
  4. lazbiker

Now a few questions on linking dual quads. I'm in Tucson at elevation around 2500ft. Dual Holley 650cfm's 1 to 1. What primary and secondary jets do I use. I know the throttles link together but what about the automatic choke and the vacuum secondaries. Does one control the other or are they tuned to the EXACT SAME DEGREE? Also, it doesn't seem that anyone has ever linked a 351w with Dual Holleys (everyone uses Edelbrock carbs). I'm shattering the norm ( because I already have 4 Holleys) and using two in line/back to back Holleys. They are simply too long for the Edelbrock manifold so I'm machining an adapter to fit them properly. I've got the plate of billet aluminum and simply have to rent machine shop time. Why hasn't ANYONE done this before? It seems that in the past 50 years or so that SOMEONE would have done this!

5. LC 53

I think 1300 cfm of carbs is Way too much for your 351ci. My race 552ci bbf only used a 1050cfm. You will make more power with one of those carbs.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I agree. Pretty dosen't make it run better

7. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Unless that 351w is going to spin 8,000 rpms for a 500 mile race, I'd say the single 650cfm is more than sufficient.

8. lazbiker

I totally get the fact that one four-barrel is sufficient, but I want to at least TRY it to say I did.

9. captchas

thats right, daul quads is over fueling, go way back even 3 -2's on a flat head was to much,all of my flatty's ran great on 2- 94's, the shelby 527 in my cobra only uses a 950 cfm
    1 -650 holley on that 351 should be more then enough

10. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I know diddly but if it's for the looks you could put a blocking plate under one of the carbs and run it with the other. No one would be the wiser but you and the rest of us here...:)

11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

No need John. Just don't run fuel to it.

12. captchas

that won't work, you would be running so lean the pistons would melt. a block off plate maybe, depends on the intake's runner design . but that's something i did on the 401 nail head in the 32 vickie. blocked off 2 of the 6 -94's, still the motor ran like stink, now it's redone and running a stock oem intake and a single 750 cfm afb, "stock was a 700" nail heads love fuel, lots of it.
    looks is great for something being used for shows only having it run so it could be a reliable daily driver is better,

13. LC 53

If you are set on trying to run two holleys, find 2 390cfm carbs.

lazbiker likes this.
  14. lazbiker

The build is done. I'm testing the engine (two 450 cfm's). Do the vacuum secondaries get full vacuum? If not, where do I run the vacuum line?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >