2021 6.2l tick!

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by dustin, Aug 26, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. dustin

hello, I am really hoping someone can shine some light onto the issue i'm having. I just purchased a brand new 2021 f250 with 6.2l 6 speed. Since the day I drove it home it has a extremely annoying tick. Sounds like a exhaust manifold leak to me. The dealer says its normal, I have had 4 others and not one has been this way. Now when I say tick its all the time. I have done 75 mph with windows up and myself and girlfriend could hear it no problem. To me I notice it the most when driving not so much outside. The truck also has a grinding issue in the rear which I assume is a different problem all together the dealer still has the truck trying to resolve it. They claimed the new pinon flange they installed would fix it. and it did not still has a rear end grind that comes and goes. I asked the dealer why they changed a already new pinion flange and i was told "ford said to change it so we did" wow unbelievable. Again assuming its 2 completely different issues. Has anyone out there had either issue? I would feel a lot better knowing someone else agrees its not normal! There is no way. I have a high mileage 2016 6.2l for a rental currently. The 2016 has no tick. unfortunately its crazy that im going thru this with a $50000 truck. If anyone has any input i would greatly appreciate it! thanks!

Tags:
  2. DonW

All i can say is I would not accept this "normal" crap. But make sure they give you that diagnosis in writing.

3. dustin

I talked to another dealer, they had told me that they have seen this issue before it and was either a software update, or a issue with cam phasers. My dealer did not agree at all. So it's currently still sitting at the dealership. I was asked to come down and ride with a tech so I could discribe the sounds. The tech took a 5min ride and agreed with me it's not right. The dippoop service manager was not happy being told the truck was not correctly like he told me 10 times. So hoping something good happens here!

4. RunningRigging

Hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction, dustin. Do keep up updated. I haven't purchased yet and am still on the fence 7.3 vs 6.2.
    Gary

5. dustin

Thank you! And I will be sure to keep you guys updated, I probably would have purchased a 7.3 if I could have found one at the time, I didn't want to wait to order one. From what I understand the problem seemed to be resolved now but I was hearing quite a few issues with the 10R140 transmission paired with that 7.3

6. DonW

10,000 on my 7.3 with the 10 speed, everything fine. Funny, I’m sure Dustin is right but the only issues I can find were with the 10 speed in the F-150..

7. ifallsguy

Please explain why your truck is sitting at your dealer if you don't like their diagnosis and another dealer tells you there is a fix. YOU ARE NOT UNDER OBLIGATION TO USE THE SELLING DEALER FOR WARRANTY WORK. PERIOD!!! Ford will tell you that, it's in your owner's manual. Any Ford dealer in North America (US/Canada/Mexico) can perform warranty work on any Ford vehicle under warranty.

Is your dealer holding your truck in a lockup? Are they doing any work (either about your complaint or something else)?

And where are you "hearing" about problems with the 10R140 transmission? Of course everything you hear or read on the internet must be true..... Virtually everyone with the 10 speed is driving with no problems. And if you check, you will find normally it's the same people complaining multiple times, trying their best to make it look like it's a major issue. The 10R140 is the same transmission as used with the 6.7L diesel. No major complaints out there. And the issue with the F-150 version of the transmission is smaller, lighter and not the same transmission.

Oh, and there are 3 foot long ants in southern GA eating children. It's on the web so it has to be true.

V10 NUT, RunningRigging and DonW like this.
  8. dustin

I had returned my truck 2 days after buying it for the ticking of the engine and the rear end grinding sound i was hearing. as i mentioned before they said the tick was normal,however they were very concerned about the grinding, at witch they installed what they said was a updated pinon flange and it was to be resolved. clearly not confident in the repair the service guy said if you hear it again call us ,and we will get it right in. so i returned the truck and they provided me a superduty rental. after a few days they finally looked at it and said they could not hear anything, so they wanted me to stop by on the weekend to ride with a tech. During a 2 mile trip the tech he could easily hear the grinding and said the tick was louder than normal. finally someone other than me could tell his manager i was not full of bs. main reason for using this dealer is all my local dealers were 3 to 6 weeks booked and no one had rentals. since i just purchased it they felt obligated to take it in, i did have to fight to get a rental but i got one.. currently have not gotten a update. i drove the truck 2 days since purchased its been at the dealer all month other than that. gonna call and see whats going on so wish me luck! tell them to buy it back at this point. they can pay the first payment!
    In regards to the 7.3 and the 10speed, yeah your correct lol i did read alot of info and failures on the beloved internet not to say its true. other than that we do have a couple 10spd where i work, and they are having issues, most common thing i hear of starting the problem is a steel on steel sound like scraping sound while in gear with your foot on the brake. sound comes from transmission/bellhousing. we have a 20 and 21 f550 the 21 has 300 miles and it just started making the sound. from what i read it will start there and get worse and worse until replacement. this was talked about for the first gen 10r140. not sure if that is just for 2020 or what but our 21 is doing it currently hope maybe that helps thats about all ive heard.

9. dustin

well here's a update for you guys. Service dept called and told me they had a call back from some ford hotline they have directly to ford. They told me they all could now hear these sounds and agreed something was wrong, there call from ford gave them 6 things to pinpoint and try. to start they wanted to shut each cylinder down one at a time to see if they could pinpoint the cause of the engine tick. the manager told me no matter what i was most likely going to be getting a new short block. Now if that's not crazy here's the real crazy part......2 hours later the OWNER of the dealership calls and says my truck is done! he told me all these sounds are for sure normal. he said i have everything on paper here to show you.He requested i drive it until next oil change. and they could check it over again...Why if its perfectly normal, Long story short he basically told me his service dept is wrong and were just looking for a answer to all these sounds they are hearing witch are "normal" I told him i did what i was asked and rode with a master tech and he verified a problem. well hes wrong too guess. so i told the owner if there's nothing wrong with it he can buy it back from me. He said its a process that takes time but he said he will do that. so if he sticks to his word ill be truck shopping again. If i could find another one should i buy one?? half scarred too and ordering one sounds like it could take very long time.

10. DonW

I might wouldn’t wanttogey another one from that dealer…but you may have no choice

11. ifallsguy

Tell the owner you want the fact he said he would buy it back in writing. A buy back is not an exchange for another truck, but cash/check. Be aware they will probably hit you for mileage, which they can do. If he says exchange, then tell them to supply another loaner and order it custom. Make him sweat it. I find it odd the owner says all of his service people are wrong. Tells me he doesn't care about the customer after the sale, only money. Also ask the service manager and master mechanic for copies of paperwork on this truck including the fact master mechanic agrees there is a problem and all paperwork saying there isn't that was sent to Ford. I'm pretty sure that won't match up with what the owner told you.

One other thing, are you absolutely sure it was the owner who called you and not the sales manager or someone else in sales. I really believe upper management is trying to make this go away. Your description sounds like the issue Ford has been swapping out blocks and engines. Understand Ford gives each dealer credits to use for warranty, etc on each vehicle sold. The less work they do which is chargeable to the truck, the less they get to keep. In my case, I had 3 tires out of round on a 2019 F-150 and Ford refused to do anything. The dealer swapped out all 4 tires at no charge, even though I was willing to pay for the 10% wear I put on them. Dealer said since it took several months to be denied by Ford, they would cover all costs. That is the dealer I have purchased 5 vehicles from in the past 7 years...they are willing to support the customer and do what is needed. Warranty or out of pocket, they have been excellent in both sales and service. They even found an issue on my wife's 2019 Edge, took care of it (warranty) and told us what the problem was and if it happened again, it was covered. (Rough shifting once in a while...reprogram transmission to the ST version).

12. dustin

yes it was infact the owner of the dealership i spoke with, he was very polite and nice to deal with unlike the mangers below him. as far as mileage the truck only has about 400 miles on it. had 42 on it the night i bought it the rest was about 2 days of use and then trips back and forth to the dealer, witch is about 1hr 10min away one way. other than that service dept has driven it more then me. hoping they keep there word and buy it back and not take forever. being the owner of few dealerships he is not easy to reach that's the downfall. about ready to get my down payment money back and go buy a old 5.4 f250 lol pay $600 and up a month for problems just not worth it... not sure what too do either way trucks are hard to find and stinks with three being no rebates or room to haggle due to inventory. sure appreciate the info and opinions helps a lot with my current spinning mind!

13. DonW

Yeah the truck shortage deal is real. See where some big GM factory is shutting down? Says because of covid but then shows hundreds or thousands of new trucks sitting with no chips! But it covid!, probably the govt helps if “because of covid”! And we blame China, pathetic!

14. ifallsguy

Hey Don, I have a multi-billion dollar chip manufacturing plant in my shed. Just waiting for the prices to get up where I want to fire it up again. I shut it down as soon as I knew my 250 had been assembled and shipped last October. I had ordered the truck in early June.

Look, car makers saw sales crater last winter/spring due to covid shutdowns, so they cancelled chip orders. Chip makers also shut down due to workers being sick and order cancellations. Then tech companies increased their orders to build laptops, modems, cell phones, etc. Car makers were caught flat footed when sales jumped and are down the line when it comes to orders.

Are you aware there has been a shortage in the foam used to make seats in vehicles? The companies that make the root stock for the foam are still not up to full production with all of the severe weather on the Gulf coast. Just another case of supply cannot meet demand due to changes around the world....in this case climate change, more hurricanes, and like Texas and their snow last spring, poor preparation for weather.

Chip manufacturing plants take years to build, so it will take a while for things to get back to "normal". Whether you believe Covid is real or not, we are in a time where shortages are facts of life.

Meanwhile, companies continue to build and park vehicles while waiting for chips and parts. Politics (on either side) has nothing to do with it. Blame it on Just In Time the companies have gone to.

15. DonW

When/where did I say I didn’t believe covid is real? I’m just saying GM blaming covid is BS, them and half of everyone else. High gas prices covid? Nothing to do with it! Food prices? Bs! Worker shortage covid? Very little to do with it, it was that weekly govt. tit all the lazy people sucked caused it! But we blame ”covid” hoping that govt. tit is there!

RunningRigging likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >