Key Fob Range

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by anti_seize, Sep 8, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. anti_seize

Hello Ford Community,

I recently acquired a 2001 Ford F-150 Lariat Super Crew. It did not have the key fobs but I had some spare older Ford ones laying around. I was able to program them for the vehicle but they only work if you are inside the truck. I either have to place them as close to the ignition as possible or hold them to my head (apparently this helps increase the transmission distance). I have tried changing the batteries and even using new aftermarket ones but had the same issue. I feel like there is an antenna or receiver that is not functioning properly but I cannot find any info regarding this.

Any suggestions/directions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I've never heard of them having range that bad unless the battery needed replacing, unless the truck's RAP module is going bad. Its tough to see, under the dash on the firewall near the parking brake. Its a white box with a 5 digit RAP code on it. I don't know how to test it though.

3. anti_seize

I did view the RAP. It seems to function properly otherwise. I have a spare 2001 with a RAP, could I pull it and swap it out or are there protections that prevent replacement or require dealership assistance for programming?

Thanks for your reply! :)

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >