Solved keys...spare tire lock...truck heighth

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by johnp, Dec 11, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. johnp Vet Zone

New member, also new to ford trucks.
    Several questions:
    1...can't get spare tire lock out...turns but won't come out. Is it supposed to?
    2...found that the ign. key costs $60.00 to make a spare. Any alternative ?
    3...why is my truck so high ? Bed is almost shoulder high and i'm 6"2"". It's as tall as a 4x4 but it's a 2x2, reg. cab, long bed. No lift kit. Rides like a buckboard. Tried to get the original window sticker..no luck there. Special order maybe ? I got it used, 2010 w/75k at what I thought was a good price. Think it's not from Ohio 'cause it has no rust. Had it oil sprayed and the sprayer said the underneath looked great. In spite of this, I love it after 40+ years of chevy's.

Semper Fi

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

1. If the lock is just turning, I'd try grabbing the backside with vise grips (but not too hard) to hold it steady then try turning the key. After turning the entire lock assembly should come out.

2. In order to program a Ford transponder key for the truck, you need at least two working keys. If you don't already have two, then a dealer needs to do it. If you do have two keys now and need a third:

- Go to Amazon or Ebay, and you can purchase a blank Ford transponder key for a fraction of the dealer's price.
    - Get the key cut at Lowes, Home Depot and most hardware stores to match the key you have now.
    - Put working key 1 in the ignition, turn it to on but not start for 5-10 seconds.
    - Take key 1 out, and put working key 2 in the ignition, turn it to on but not start for about 5 seconds.
    - Take key 2 out, and within 20 seconds, put in new key (key 3) in the ignition and turn to on but not start. After the truck stops beaping the new key is mated to the truck

This makes the key work in the ignition. The remote functions on it still have to be mated to the truck:

- Have all the remotes for the truck ready.
    - Open the drivers door, press the door unlock button.
    - Put a working key in the ignition and cycle it on and off 8 times in 10 seconds. You'll then hear the locks cycle.
    - Put any button on a remote, and its now mated to the truck. Repeat this for each remote.
    - When done, remove the key from the ignition.

3. Different suspension packages can vary the height, even with 4x2. In the back there's more than one type of spring package available each with a different load capacity.

dustybumpers likes this.
  3. johnp Vet Zone

Thank you FTZ HAIC for the reply. Now I know a little more about my truck.

Semper Fi

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

if you have one working key, you can program the another one with forscan. takes about 15 minutes to do.

dustybumpers likes this.
  5. johnp Vet Zone

Forscan?
    Never heard of it but thanks. I'll look into forscan.

6. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Forscan is a computer program free to download. You'll need to purchase an OBDII adapter that works with your computer so it can connect to the truck. You also have to register with their forum and request an extended license key (free again) so you can do the fancy stuff.

F150's have deeper (taller) bed sides than most other trucks, including the super duties. They also seem like they want to go about 20 mph in reverse at idle. Not sure why Ford thought either of those items was important, but that's how it is.

Semper Fi.

7. johnp Vet Zone

Thanks Chris. The more I read the more I learn. Can't wait for some warm weather. Supposed to get up in the high 40's this week end. Will work on that spare lock.
    This site is a great information source.
    Thanks again

Semper Fi

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

On my 06 f 150, I had to spray power lube in the latch part from behind in that spare tire lock. It wasn't moving when I turned the key. Once lubed up, I had my wife turn the key and hold it, while I smashed it with channel locks like Ken said.
    Pretty sure I ruined it, but it comes out now.

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  9. johnp Vet Zone

Thanks Dusty. Supposed to be 50 and sunny tomorrow. Will give it a 'smash".

Semper Fi

10. johnp Vet Zone

It worked. Thank you Dusty.

Semper Fi

Campspringsjohn and dustybumpers like this.
  11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

No problem. Glad to help

12. johnp Vet Zone

New to Ford trucks and this website is the best one i've found after searching others. Find a lot of answers when searching this site. Glad I found it. Thanks again.

Semper Fi

dustybumpers likes this.
  13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

We are sort of a "Ford family" site
    More personal than the other guys.
    Check out the chat threads, join in

1970something likes this.
  14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm marking this as solved. :)

15. johnp Vet Zone

Solved it is....now I'll work on the window sticker. Try Fomoco this monday and see if they can 'solve' it.

Semper Fi

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >