Kickdown linkage

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by tvpitts, Feb 27, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. tvpitts

Hey guys, Been away for a while. Had been driving my 53 around the block a few time . Then I start it up in the garage & revved it up & heard a hell of a noise. It turn out that something had got down into # 5 cylinder. After pulling the head off , I found nothing but a lot of little dents on the piston & head. what ever it was must have been blown out the exhaust. Put it back together & it runs find. I have a 302 engine with C4 transmission. I do not have any kickdown linkage & have read that I don't need any. What do you all think? Does the transmission shift by vacuum?

Tags:
  2. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

I ran same combo in a 72 f-100to pass just drop it down in second and scoot

3. tvpitts

Thanks John

4. tvpitts

Seems like I have one problem after another. Found my oil leak. there is a small hole in front cover. the front cover is part of the serpentine belt kit I bought from American Billet. After discovering the hole , I decided to see how deep it was. took a nail & accidentally dropped it into the oil pan. I have fished for it with a magnet with no luck. I have dropped the pan but it only drops about a inch because of cross member. I don't want to pull the engine. I am thinking of leaving the nail the oil pan. I can't think of what it would hurt. Is this a big mistake?

5. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

since you have the oil drained (you do don't you?) pull the drain plug and get a magnetic retrieval tool with a flexible shaft (very flexible)

like this one
    https://www.toolsource.com/pickup-tools-c-614_616/mighty-worm-magnetic-pickup-tool-p-139194.html

insert it and move it all around the pan. Try inserting it over the lip of the pan and fish also.... the thickness of the oil is probably holding it in one place and you might luck out... another idea might be spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner (lots) in the pan and see if you can wash it to the sump where you might fish it out with the mag pick up... the carb cleaner will evaporate but put a pan under the drain hole to catch the runoff just in case...you're gonna get some oil for sure...nothing drains completely !! When I built mine I epoxied a speaker magnet in the bottom of the pan to catch metal... Yea, I know... too late for that, ain't it ?? I went thru something similar with a oil pump drive shaft I dropped the shaft and trying to fish it out I dropped a 5/16" socket on an extension down the same distributor shaft hole..... nearly lost my religion over that one.

gud luck

j

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >