King Pin question

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by GSP, Nov 20, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. GSP

King Pin question. I have never installed kingpins, but I have done many trunnions which look to me like horizontal kingpins in many ways, kinda-----well anyways I cleaned up the king pins and was able to get them to take grease. However, there at least one problem I am not sure how to deal with other than taking it apart. My question is when I grease the upper zerk on one side the grease takes a path a least resistance and comes out under the cap rather than going down to the pin. My gut feeling is take a hammer and try and knock the cap tight because it looks a little bent up on the leaky side. I do see the hex sides on the cap to tighten it, but it looks cross threaded plus it has probably been that way for a long time. How do they seal? Should I leave it for now until I can replace all the components? or does this sometime happen?

steve

DSCN3225.JPG #ad

Tags:
  2. BKW Founding Member

What year/model are you working on? 1965 F100/250 2WD use ONE YEAR only kingpins, because the king pin locking pin is in a different place than 1966 and later.

3. GSP

Hey thanks for looking 1966 f 100 cyl 6 240 manual transmission.

steve

4. GSP

Is the top piece nut thingie with the zerk fitting threaded into something or pressed in place? I was thinking I could back it off and try and fix it to make the piece lay flat. But, I should probably wait until I am ready to do a complete rebuild of the kingpins. These are probably original.
    steve

5. iicap

To check the kingpins for wear, wheel jacked up, grab tire at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock. Push-pull top and bottom, there should be NO movement. If Movement, have someone look to see if movement is king pins or loose wheel bearings, or both. A comment on install and greasing king pins. The thrust bearing between bottom of axle eye and lower spindle must have the seam of the bearing facing down, so water and debris will not enter. As you have alluded to "the path of lease resistance" Always grease the lower Zerk with the weight of the truck on the ground, so the the thrust bearing is married to the axle and spindle to force new grease thru the bearing instead of out elsewhere.

Yes you can try reinstalling the upper cap.

6. GSP

Thanks Cap, So the cap has some threads on it, maybe a couple 2 or 3---it looks like it is made of tin and should be able to work with it. I will try and back cap off gently.

steve

7. iicap

Steve, forgot to mention, I'm sure there is a o'ring or seal that goes on the cap before putting it on. Cap

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >