Gas Improve towing ride quality

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by mtnbike444, Jun 8, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. mtnbike444

Hi everyone. First-time poster. I own a 2018 F250 gasser (6.2) and frequently tow a 28-ft toy hauler with an empty weight of 8,500lbs.

Needless to say, the ride quality is pretty poor when towing, especially on bumpy highways. We have a weight distribution hitch which minimizes sag, but the truck still sags a bit.

I'm wanting to upgrade the suspension to the best possible solution for improving ride quality when towing. I'm not too concerned about non-towing ride quality, as I rarely use the truck in-between camping trips.

I've come across several "helper" air bag setups for the rear suspension, specifically the Stage 3 Motorsports setup.

I was curious from the group here if this is the best solution or if I should consider something else? I'm willing to pay for the best solution, so cost isn't terribly important.

Truck is not lifted and I plan to keep it as stock as possible while improving towing comfort.

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. DonW

I
    If you think it rides bad towing.....don't use it not towing!!

3. mtnbike444

That was helpful. Thanks.

4. DonW

What i
    What I’ m trying to tell you is that truck rides better with that trailer on it than without. I know I basically own one. Mine is a 2020 F-250, basically the same suspension. I am now towing a 5th wheel trailer, close to 3000 lbs heavier than your trailer. Almost 3000 lb pin weight, only squats about 3” loaded! Ride loaded on average rd is decent. Empty it is absolutely terrible…. In my mind. Very very stiff, you feel every small irregularity in the rd…all the way into your teeth! Have ridden in 3/4 and 1 ton RAMS that ride far better.
    So yes, I was trying to help. You have a good truck, I like mine basically for the 7.3 Godzilla and 10 speed transmission. It tows amazing for a gasser and fuel mileage not towing in my mind is decent. Not a diesel but $10,000 less money and less maintenance. But again to do over before I left RAM (had 1500’s) I definately would have tried a RAM 2500. Good luck but I suggest before you spend hundreds or thousands on suspension upgrades to improve towing ride I definately would ride in one with the upgrades before I spent lots of money on it. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

5. DonW

p.s. not sure how much you have towed but any truck RIDES better loaded than empty

6. mtnbike444

Gotcha. I drive it every now and then when not towing, and yeah, it's stiff AF lol.

We do a LOT of towing and near cross-country trips towing the toy hauler, so I just wanted to do anything I could to save my back from all the bumps lol. Any thoughts?

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

1. Wheel size can have a huge difference, just throwing that out because I don't know which wheels you're using. The smaller the wheel it has with the same overall diameter tire the smoother the ride.
    2. Tire pressure if it's too high. Lowering it just a bit can make a big difference.
    3. Tongue weight not right.
    4. If you don't have adjustable shocks, I recommend them.
    5. Dampening shackle's like Sulastic, though that's something I'd do if other ways don't work.

The Dodge 2500 road better because all levels have about a 500lb lower payload then the F250. GM 2500s have a lower payload too. Their suspensions are softer.

Same with towing, the F250 beats them both. Max out the Dodge 2500's maximum towing weight --- add a couple more ton and you'll then max the F250 (3 more tons in it's highest tow package).

8. DonW

Wheel size I agree 100%. Air pressure I agree 100%. Suspension? Ratings are ratings, which I don't get half as nervous over as some. I see 2500 RAMS every day towing the same size 5th wheels as my F-250. Same with Chevy, which I like less than my Ford. Yes my 7.3 Godzilla will out tow the 6.8 Chebby and 6.4 RAM. They all s--k on fuel mileage towing but my 7.3 is better on fuel than Chevy or RAM....a little better. But in a 100 mile tow that RAM or Chevy will be along before you can get out of my Ford and lock the door. However, my back will be far worse off then in the RAM or CHEBY. Ford has never known how to make their suspension progressive like the RAM and Chevy! I will say if I run recommended air pressure Ford recommends as opposed to the tires (80 lbs max cold) on the tires FORD put on my truck...it does ride better. Not good but better. I have 18" wheels, wish it had 17". As FTZ says...more sidewall.
    As for me, and to each their own, instead of hundreds or thousands for Air suspension, or fancy shock etc, etc I wish I had bought the RAM.

9. DonW

Oh here we go, disagreeing again! I have rode in 3500 RAMS (1-ton) that have far more load capacity than my 3/4 ton ford that rode better than my Ford. And oh, the 3500 RAM diesel will tow with or better than the 6.7 Ford any day.

10. V10 NUT

If cost isn't a concern, look into Kelderman air ride. Had it in my 03 . World of difference towing or empty. NOT CHEAP though. 17 inch wheel with 33 or 34 inch tire will also ride better than 20 inch wheel with same size tire

11. DonW

Wish I had something like that on mine, it just really irks me to spend that kind of money on any of these trucks today at the price they are just to be able to ride in the darn thing!!

12. Obe Vet Zone

I run a 2019 F-250 Limited (6.7 diesel crew cab, 20" wheels) with a 33' TT about the same weight as yours, my ride is fine. Before you do anything with the suspension, make sure your weight distribution hitch is properly adjusted. Use the rear and front bumper height method - measure the height of both bumpers un-hitched and then hook up your TT fully loaded and remeasure both bumper heights. Both bumpers should have lowered about the same amount. If they don't, you'll need to adjust your weight distribution hitch or go with different load bars.

DonW likes this.
  13. DonW

Correct! And let me add the TT should be as close to level as possible…and I mean like within an inch or two front of trailer to rear. You may need a drop or rise adapter between the hitch receiver and hitch…. That TT will sway some no matter how you hook it up but with everything level it will be the minimum you can get.

14. Obe Vet Zone

One last thing...if using a weight distribution hitch you will need to turn off the vehicle trailer anti-sway control. You will need to do this every time you start your truck as it defaults to ON.

15. DonW

How well does that anti-sway option work? My lowly XLT doesn't have that!!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >