Knocking Noise 2004 5.4 V8 3 Valve

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by V X, Aug 17, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. V X Founding Member

Hi all
    I'm looking at a 2004 f150 with a noise that sounds like a knocking but doesn't increase with the pressing of the accelerator. 142k on the 4x4 4 door. It's very clean in and out. Looks to have been well cared for. Old owner not around to ask any questions to. Is this sound "normal"? Is it normal? I think not. But what do I know. Is it cam phaser noise? I found that on the interwebs so it must be true. Any help appreciated

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Usually you should hear the noise increase speed with engine RPM.

If the noise is coming from the valve train it should sound like it's happening at half the engine RPM. If it's from the bottom end it will be the same RPM.

If it's an injector ticking, it's still worth buying, it's a quick relatively inexpensive fix. Cam phasers will run you a lot more, but once they are dealt with the 5.4L 3v is rock solid so long as spark plugs are changed at least every 50,000 miles if you use Autolite/Motorcraft plugs - aftermarket one piece plugs you can let go to regular 100,000 intervals.

If it happens only when the engine is cold, and sounds like it's from the bottom end it might be a little piston slap (due to the tight tolerances of the modular V8) - this is generally not a problem just annoying but it should be addressed. Over the long term it can be a problem but short term it's not. Simply switch to 5w30, synthetic oil to give the pistons a little extra cushion during warm up. And stick with Motorcraft filters in that case. They use rubber anti-drainback valves in the filter instead of nitrile, which holds oil in the filter during startup so the engine gets lubricated faster.

Now, back to cam phasers.... it will be a loud ticking noise at the front side of one or more valve covers. If it's coming from elsewhere on the top end then it might be injector tick. Its very hard to explain what they sound like. It's not mild, like tapping a piece of metal, but more of a harder bang/tap noise almost diesel like. Here's:

If it sounds like a slapping noise instead of that phaser noise above - at the front of the enngine, on either side, it's probably one of the timing chain guides, and I'd pass on it.

SeaninIdaho likes this.
  3. V X Founding Member

Thanks boss. It is dieselly sounding like the video. My son is very handy when it comes to things mechanical. If we get it I think he can fix it.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It's not expensive parts wise, or too labor intensive for someone who knows how to handle it... but the shops charge out the arse for it. If he can do it you can probably use the noise to your advantage to bargain down a good price. You can either replace the phasers, or lock them out. Locking out insures it will never happen again but you'll lose about 20 hp on the low end.

SeaninIdaho likes this.
  5. V X Founding Member

Thanks again. It's coming up for auction locally.(middle of Sept.) I know it's a crap shoot and auction trucks always seem to bring phone # prices around here. Son is confident it's a piece of cake.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Good luck with it, I hope you score!

7. V X Founding Member

Damn thing brought almost $8k. Then buyers premium. More than my budget allowed.
    Thanks for all the info.
    This place is awesome.

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Hope you run across something else within your budget. The 2004+ are holding value well.

SeaninIdaho likes this.
  9. V X Founding Member

Actually ran across an 86 notchback that was virtually rust free and arrow straight. I know it's apples and oranges but couldn't resist. It joins the 67 vert.

10. garyreynolds92

Add some snake oil to the crankcase

SeaninIdaho likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >