Lash adjuster replacement

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by mgblunt, Jan 11, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. mgblunt

I need to know how big of a job it is to replace the lash adjusters in a Ford F150 5.4 2 valve?

Tags:
  2. enriched

Personally I can't offer much, I have not been that deep into my engine.

After nosing around youtube a bit certainly would lend it to something that can been done at home with some reasonable wrenching skills and maybe a special tool. Digging to it would be probably the bigger effort.

Its kinda depends on how much you want to take on & how much longer you are going to keep the truck? if it is valve lash adjusters making the noise, I don't think its is super serious and could go a long time without major issue.....If... you drive normally and not tap the redline off every other stop sign.

How many miles are on this thing ? If you have over, say, 150-200k miles and your determined to make 400k miles, then, I would do more then the lash adjustors and replace the timing chains and guides tensioners and oil pump and water pump. but that's me

3. mgblunt

It has 160,000 miles on it the truck runs perfect with the exception on this tick and miss on start up that only lasts for about 20 seconds if that is not damaging the engine I won't worry about it but that's the thing I'm afraid this might be causing a engine failure without doing something about it.I would like to get at least another 100,000 out of it if I can.

enriched likes this.
  4. enriched

With good general maintenance and baring anything catastrophic , like getting into a wreck & not being aware of a leak in its life fluids until its wheezing and coughing . You should get to that 1/4 of million mile mark without to much trouble. I know of others , on different forums, that have well over that on that & claim to be pretty much untouched.

I hear what you're saying, you and I are pretty much in the same boat. I have 191K miles on mine and it still is running pretty well with just ordinary maintenance, battery tires, fluid and filter changes. Within the last 18 months or so I have needed to replace alternator and most recently the intake manifold , which I did also installed fresh spark plugs and 1 new COP. So I foresee, shall we say, more intense maintenance ahead for mine as well, just when is the big question.:nailbiting:;)

Yes mine been intermittently ticking away pretty much since about 145k miles and seems to have no ill affects. NOW, I have not gotten inside to for look for damage either to know if I should of taken care of it sooner. All I can say is so far so good, soo take its for what its worth.

From what I understand the 4.6 and 5.4 2v heads are the same, so if you look on YouTube and find a video on a 4.6 it should be pretty much the same. I would assume that the 3v should be some what similar as well. That said... someone might chime in give information contrary to that, & that's OK. I'm kinda new to this site/ forum so I hesitate about posting links. ( Other forums can be kinda testy about it).

The other thing that "seems to be" in the debate as to the source of the ticking, from my research anyway, is whether it is a exhaust leak or a warn lash adjuster?? SO Murphys law being what it is, about the time one goes and replaces the lash adjusters and buttons things back up only to still have the dreaded tick:wideyed: and then it points its finger to the exhaust manifold or vise versa:arghh:. I guess my plan it to take care of it all at once and either swap in a rebuilt or hopefully find a good used engine. In the mean time , I'm in a holding pattern until either one makes a definite turn for the worse.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso