leaky alloy wheels

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 1970something, Feb 1, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

looking for ideas.
    over the past year or so, two of the 17 inch alloy wheels on the 07 mercury milan my parents use have developed very slow weeks.
    they loose around 20 lbs every three weeks in summer, and 20 lbs per week in winter.
    i eliminated the possibility of it being the tires by replacing them last week. this afternoon one was 12 lbs, the other was 14.

new tires, new valve stems and cores. bead of the wheel was cleaned and sealer was applied before the new tires were put on.

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

My Spyder does the same thing. Look where the spoke touches the outside ring, you will see a hairline crack on one or more of the spokes

Bought 1 wheel first year I had it, then another a year later.
    Took sinking the tire in a cut off barrel to find it.
    I saw yesterday a third one is low
    My cure is going to be 4 aftermarket wheels

3. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

ok, i will give that area a spray. i use AC leak detector to find leaks, and it usually works. i can see one two micron bubble per minute with the leak detector. but it does not show on these wheels. but then again, i never tried where the spoke connects to the body.
    i have always found the leaks either at the valve stem, or along the bead due to corrosion.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Hard to see, but look right in the corners
    20170113_104638.jpg #ad
    20170113_104623.jpg #ad

5. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

forgot to do an update.
    one had a bad valve, the other had a tiny nail in it, almost like a staple.
    took me three days to find the nail. the hole was so small it could not be plugged, i had to put a patch in the tire.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Dam. Gonna have to use a smaller nail net time.....:facepalm::finger:

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >