< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. badcard11

I just bought a 1963 F-100 Stepside. I am going through everything, trying to get familiar.
    1 blinker bulb flashes when activated. So I removed dash and saw at least 6 little bulbs. I replaced them all. Still none light up except the right turn signal.
    Not sure if there are fuses anywhere, but the fact that one works has got me puzzled.
    The interior light does not work either, did not replace that bulb yet.
    All headlights, parking lights and blinkers work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. iicap

On the bulbs that are for the dash lights, sometimes rust builds up on the rheostat coil on the head light switch. It is when your turn switch knob left or right to brighten or dim the dash lights. Turn it left/right rapidly and you can get the rust to clean away to get connection back, usually works. lights must be on of course.
    On turn signal indicator bulb, a few possibilities. Swap the working bulb to corresponding not working and see if all stays the same. If so remove the front and rear, stop and tail and park signal bulbs on the side of truck where indicator does not work. Look at the filaments in the bulb and make sure they are intact and one filament not laying against the other. If all OK loosen the screws that hold the parking/signal fixture to the sheet metal and make sure you have a good ground, clean somehow for good ground. Now you Say Stepside , I believe Stepside is a GM term, someone might Chastise you, LOL. So rear lights are are bracket mounted, good clean mounting light to bracket, bracket to body so good ground is important. Look at brightness of bulbs being equal to the properly working side if not, still make sure of good clean grounds. Last possible is signal light switch is the culprit. Cap. Let us know how you make out.

3. iicap

Meant to add, rust builds up on the metal clips the fuses are pushed into and continuity is lost. Need to check that also.

4. fiveseven1957

I had alot of problems with my 66 f 100 lights in and ext. I tried to fix the issues with old swithces but but couldnt do it. Replaced all the switches, turn signal, 4 way, light switch, fuse panel and got a wiring diagram and went to work. figured how system works and eventually got it sorted out. Good luck.

5. badcard11

Thank you, but that all sounds way out of my comfort zone, trying to find a local guy who is a wiring wiz

6. fiveseven1957

I also took it to supposedly knowledgeable shops but there didnt what to deal with it.

7. badcard11

That is what I am seeing too. Most want to handle the engine and stuff, don't want to dive into a wiring mess

8. iicap

Do at least check out what I have mentioned Post #2. That isn't really hard to do. Come back to us again if you need more clarity on any particular. We will be glad to try and walk you thru things. Cap

9. Jones1965

Hi Badcard11,
    I don't know much about your Particular vehicle hell I don't know much about my particular vehicle. One thing I do know is that my 66 F100 only has one dash turn Indicator light and it flashes whether I'm turning left or right. Maybe this is a stupid question but are you sure you're dash has a separate Indicator for left and right?

10. BKW Founding Member

1965/66 F100/250 Custom Cab/Ranger with plastic chrome sweep speedometer instrument cluster bezel only have one light for the turn signals.

iicap likes this.
  11. darina99611

I hoe you'll find one

12. iicap

Are you saying all the things I suggested in Post's 2 and 3 are to daunting to you?? You Never replied that you tried any of it and what you found??

And I wrote this in post #8

"Do at least check out what I have mentioned Post #2. That isn't really hard to do. Come back to us again if you need more clarity on any particular. We will be glad to try and walk you thru things. Cap"

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso