Mustang swap f250

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Mrjrnotch, Jul 8, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Mrjrnotch

Hey all, I'm new to this page and have a question.

I currently have a 1995 f150 xlt with the 5.8. I love that truck and it's my current daily for highschool. But I want something more... Interesting. I guess I'm "mechanically inclined" for a high schooler. Enough to be willing to attempt an engine swap. I know some professionals to help if I need it.

Anyway I have my eye on a couple 92' to 95' f250 trucks with blown motors for cheap on CL. Has anyone tried to do a mustang engine swap? Like the v8 out of a 2013 mustang. Both the engine and transmission. They are surprisingly cheap on eBay. Could I theoretically swap the truck with a mustang v8 and transmission? I have access to a full welding shop and professional mechanics tools. Any ideas on how to go about this? Anyone done this? Any tips or help would be appreciated!

2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The newer Coyote engines they use will require more than just the engine swap. Those engines must be computer controlled, so the PCM, wiring harness, speed sensor, etc. The dash is controlled through it as well. The entire PCM setup in such a swap is such a hassle that many people to use an aftermarket control system FRPP, that's going to be $1500 for that part alone. Those Mustangs also use electric power steering, so there isn't an easy way to put on a hydraulic pump for the steering.

3. Mrjrnotch

Hmm, yeah as soon as I posted that I realized how extensive the work will probably be to make it worth it. I think I'm going to just go onto summit racing and pick up a 300hp engine off them for a few grand$$ and that should do the trick

4. IDMooseMan Vet Zone TOTM Winner

Sounds like that would be the best way to go for your project.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >