Veterans Zone Local Home Town Veterans Memorials & Remembrances

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by Seabiscuit, Mar 18, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Thought this might be interesting project to undertake.

Some of us have Memorials in our home towns or not too far away from the "home" town. This one below is in Sheridan Oregon. It was just completed last year.

In our travels about this great land of ours, if we see a Veterans or Military related memorial, lets get pictures and post them here...........

170318_0003.jpg #ad
    170318_0004.jpg #ad
    170318_0005.jpg #ad
    170318_0006.jpg #ad
    170318_0007.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. SpringerPop Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Nice project, Jim.

I'll contribute as I run across them.

Deplorable Pop

3. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

Your alma mater Jim, outside our decomm'd World War II Seaplane Base in Oak Harbor, WA. There is one hangar left and the Navy Exchange is built inside it (in the background in the bottom photo). This memorial is for the U.S. P-2 Neptunes in particular, maybe in the pre-Seabiscuit days.

VP (Patrol Squadron) memorial overlooking the Seaplane Base in Oak Harbor, WA.
    [​IMG]#ad

VP squadrons have served at NAS Whidbey Island, Washington since 1942. VP aircraft and crews fly all-weather missions around the clock keeping track of the growing fleets of foreign submarines in our waters and in theirs. VP crews did much of their training and operations against Soviet submarines during the Cold War. In addition to the ASW mission, VP crews were responsible for ocean reconnaissance, surveillance, mining and electronic warfare operations.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Seabiscuit likes this.
  4. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

P2 Neptunes, specifically the P2V were only flown by the Japanese Home Defense Forces and US Navy Reserve by the time I got there. There were no regular US Navy Squadrons of P2's left.
    Flew in one as a "guest" NATOPS observer out of NAS Millington in 72. Truly made you want to wear your helmet & parachute at all times! Was offered a billet with as a Regular Navy F/E instructor with a Reserve outfit in Warminster Pa., as they began conversion from P2's to P3's. Declined it for an F/E billet at Naval Weapons Testing / Pacific Missile Test Center.

West Valley Community Veterans Memorial, Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde, Grand Ronde Oregon. This was completed with contributions from all West Valley Vets. Jim Web, Director of the Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs, (now retired) was a big part as well.
    I'll get some better pics next trip out there. Located at the Tribal Headquarters, about 10 miles West of me, 1 mile or so West of the old US Army Fort and Pow Wow grounds.

The statues were actually sculpted by a local Tribal Veteran.

memorial-day-2010-veterans-memorial.jpg #ad
    West Valley Vets Memorial.jpg #ad

5. captchas

the top left name was a class and church mate with 3 weeks left .new jersey lost 1488 boys alone

maywood nam vets.jpg #ad

6. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The last time I re-enlisted was at a memorial in Newport News Virginia. As far as I know it marked the embarkation spot of the liberty ships that carried the troops overseas to the D-Day landing. It is a bit east of the town hall, and near the police maintenance yard. If anyone in Virginia can post up a pic if they are passing by that way, I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise, I'll risk my life going there some day to shoot the pic myself...

(It ain't the safest part of town)

7. captchas

sounds like where they parked the jersey in camden nj. risk your life driving there to see her. she was built in Brooklyn ny she should be on the hudson river with her guns aimed at the new tower loaded and guarding it

8. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

McMinnville Oregon, Evergreen Air and Space Museum. Airmen's and Military Memorials. Anyone ever gets out this way let me know, I have a membership and take a couple of guests in for free.
    170413_0038.jpg #ad

170413_0000.jpg #ad

170413_0033.jpg #ad
    170413_0034.jpg #ad
    170413_0036.jpg #ad

9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I didn't think I could do it
    But if it's the last thing I ever do...
    At least it was for something,
    I did it for me and you!

~ Ghost

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  10. captchas

forgot she was built in Phili. across the river from camden, rat hole of Nj 2nd to ac nj 2 of the worst most unsafe citys to get to something nice still feel she should be on the hudson with her guns turned to lady liberty so as to say i'm watching your safety

11. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

This was an OPB show that came out 12/2016. Very interesting 54 minutes about the USS Arizona Memorial. A memorial I have visited on more than one occasion.

12. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I have a local cemetery - I think I should take some pictures there

Some of those graves go way back...

13. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Madras Airport, formerly Madras US Army Airbase, Madras Oregon.

100_3505.JPG #ad
    100_3507.JPG #ad
    100_3510.JPG #ad
    100_3511.JPG #ad
    100_3512.JPG #ad

100_3506.JPG #ad

14. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

DSC_5058 (Medium).JPG #ad
    DSC_5059 (Medium).JPG #ad
    DSC_5061 (Medium).JPG #ad
    DSC_5062 (Medium).JPG #ad

15. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >